GMHTP Supercar/Truck Shootout

Rick@GMHTP

New member
In honor of GM High-Tech Performance’s 10th Anniversary, the GMHTP staff is planning a supercar shootout to be held at New Jersey’s Englishtown Raceway Park in summer 2005.

We are looking for the fastest, rarest, and nicest examples of EFI GM performance vehicles produced in the last 20 years. Those chosen will spend 1-2 days drag racing and having their vehicles photographed for an upcoming shootout article in GMHTP.

For this particular shootout, we are only looking for production-based vehicles made by GM, or those created in official partnership with GM. In general, if you could check a specific option box when ordering the vehicle, you’re okay. No aftermarket “tuner” cars please.

This is a drag racing event but it is NOT a competition; as such, because of the historical significance of having these rare vehicles together we will only invite owners of STOCK, UNMODIFIED vehicles who are willing and able to thrash them on the dragstrip in front of God, everybody, and our cameras!

Exceptions to “stock”:

Only if original-type air filter is unavailable, aftermarket STOCK LOCATION/SIZE/SHAPE air filters that fit in the factory airbox are acceptable. No cone-type filters or intake systems allowed.

New street-tread tires are acceptable. No slicks or drag radials.

GM-UPGRADED PROMs or ECMs/GM-FLASHED ECMs are acceptable, with emissions/driveability/etc. changes only. NO PERFORMANCE TUNING OR PERFORMANCE CHIPS ARE ALLOWED.

Shifter may be upgraded to an aftermarket unit.



GMHTP is looking for the following vehicles:

405-HORSE CORVETTE Z06
405-HORSE CORVETTE ZR1
BUICK GNX
LT4 F-BODY
1989 TURBO TRANS AM
SYCLONE/TYPHOON
THIRD/FOURTH GEN FIREHAWKS
WS6/SS LS1 F-BODY
2005 400-HORSE GTO

Additionally, there will be a “wild card” F-body slot open to all third and fourth-gens with any engine. This car could be a factory lightweight, uniquely optioned (example: WS6 Formula, Turbo Trans Am hardtop/cloth seats, etc.) or ? Surprise us—but remember, it has to be stock.

Due to the rarity of the above mentioned vehicles, we may choose multiple examples of some vehicles.

Time is of the essence, so send the following information ASAP via email to

Rick.jensen@primedia.com


Three digital photos: engine, interior, and exterior
Information about your proposed entry
Contact phone numbers

We prefer email submissions, but if you must arrange for alternate submission methods, please call 201-712-9300 extension 618.

THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS TUESDAY, JULY 5, 2005

THANKS AND GOOD LUCK!
 

BigBadSmoosh

Picking fights on I-65 since 2013
Re: GMHTP Supercar/Truck Shootout

very interesting.. I wasn't planing on bringing the ty to the track again anytime soon but this could be fun.
 

ed hess

race or get outta the way
Re: GMHTP Supercar/Truck Shootout

is he saying above that if you did more than change the air filter you arent what he is looking for?

nuts...

ed
 

TT350

Manufacturer
Re: GMHTP Supercar/Truck Shootout

This is for the guy that has the 200 mile museum piece.
 

Tydriver

TurboLS6 Powa'
Re: GMHTP Supercar/Truck Shootout

TT350 said:
This is for the guy that has the 200 mile museum piece.

LOL...

Prolly the only original SyTy left in existance according to some people around here..

STOCK TRUCKS are sloooow
 

T-Bone

Active member
Re: GMHTP Supercar/Truck Shootout

TT350 said:
This is for the guy that has the 200 mile museum piece.

I just read through this and it captivated my attention. 1,000 miles each way to put a truck that has not even been broken in yet through multiple 1/4 runs isn't appealing me BUT it would give the SyTy community some fairly decent representation (I'd hope) and maybe educate some modern day dummies on the potential of these vehicles, thus increasing demand for them and market value. Also, I would have to solicit a training session with Jimmy on correctly boost launching it....at least he thinks so the last time we conversed, LOL. I'll toss it around for a few days and see. Anyone else planning on representing???
 

blk00z28

Forced to by choice
Re: GMHTP Supercar/Truck Shootout

I'm sure there are a few stock trucks around that would do this. but how many of those cars listed (other then the new Vettes.) havent modded something yet? :roll:

I think this really fits the GN guys in nicely. I know there are alot more stocker GN's then SyTy's. :roll:
 

Jersey 91/93

NASTE Member
Re: GMHTP Supercar/Truck Shootout

I'm still stock, if you consider wreck-damaged and repaired with the only upgrades front shocks, K&N in stock location, upgraded IC pump and steel cowl stock. Of course, I'd really have to hurry up and get it painted already. Maybe I'll actually send the email.
 

BigBadSmoosh

Picking fights on I-65 since 2013
Re: GMHTP Supercar/Truck Shootout

I sent an email.. considering my only "mods" are a elec fan on the cche, and a jacket on the upper IC..

everything else that I have replaced is all maintenance.. hopefully they won't mind that its lowered a bit..

i emailed them.. and I'd be interested in going, just at the chance..

and T-bone, if you do decide you want to go, and its after my closing date on the house, you have a place to stay, free of charge.
 

Jersey 91/93

NASTE Member
Re: GMHTP Supercar/Truck Shootout

smaug said:
and T-bone, if you do decide you want to go, and its after my closing date on the house, you have a place to stay, free of charge.
It should be after the close... I thought you were moving in at the end of June, and the deadline for entries isn't until July 5th.
 

BigBadSmoosh

Picking fights on I-65 since 2013
Re: GMHTP Supercar/Truck Shootout

Jersey 91/93 said:
It should be after the close... I thought you were moving in at the end of June, and the deadline for entries isn't until July 5th.

good call.. and the offer stands to anyone, anyone interested in competeing in this or driving out for it, you have a place to stay. :tup:
 

T-Bone

Active member
Re: GMHTP Supercar/Truck Shootout

smaug said:
and T-bone, if you do decide you want to go, and its after my closing date on the house, you have a place to stay, free of charge.

Appreciate the offer and will no doubt take you up on it if I decide to go. Wish I knew the hard dates for the event.....and I need to ensure no-one will be in the driver seat of my truck except me :). Maybe Joe will take the Ty and we can roll together.....
 

2kwik4u

Resident slow guy
Re: GMHTP Supercar/Truck Shootout

JKsSyclone said:
I wish i was closer to NJ. This would be perfect for our Typhoon.

I was thinking the same thing.....Your truck is the PERFECT example for this....Bone stock and BEAUTIFUL color for the magazine guys......Wonder if we could talk Jeff into rounding up a trailer, and tow vehicle to get your truck there?.......
 

Tydriver

TurboLS6 Powa'
Re: GMHTP Supercar/Truck Shootout

2kwik4u said:
I was thinking the same thing.....Your truck is the PERFECT example for this....Bone stock and BEAUTIFUL color for the magazine guys.....


I couldnt agree more
rotf.gif
rotf.gif
rotf.gif
rotf.gif
 

BigBadSmoosh

Picking fights on I-65 since 2013
Re: GMHTP Supercar/Truck Shootout

2kwik4u said:
I was thinking the same thing.....Your truck is the PERFECT example for this....Bone stock and BEAUTIFUL color for the magazine guys......Wonder if we could talk Jeff into rounding up a trailer, and tow vehicle to get your truck there?.......

yall have a place to stay. :tup:
 

JKsSyclone

Active member
Re: GMHTP Supercar/Truck Shootout

2kwik4u said:
I was thinking the same thing.....Your truck is the PERFECT example for this....Bone stock and BEAUTIFUL color for the magazine guys......Wonder if we could talk Jeff into rounding up a trailer, and tow vehicle to get your truck there?.......

That would be cool....its your job to talk Jeff into that. :tup:
 

Will_in_China

Truckless Wonder
Re: GMHTP Supercar/Truck Shootout

<sigh>

Remember how I was talkin' at Nats how my next truck would be a virgin stocker with low mileage to play with.
It's all about timing isn't it?

Also, is a MAP-Bypass considered stock?
:D

-w
 
Top