Tranny grenaded again (6th rebuild)

420

Broke Ass Racing
Re: Tranny grenaded again (6th rebuild)

...and this is why I'm going 4L80E...
 

Andreas

New member
Re: Tranny grenaded again (6th rebuild)

Sorry to hear Adam,

But with your building skills a conv to 80 tranny would be easy if you still want to stick with automatic.
 

George Blake

DONATING MEMBER
Re: Tranny grenaded again (6th rebuild)

If anyone is interested in one, I'm building a 4L80E for syty app right now and it's not spoken for. Good for 900HP. If your over that, I need to know so I can get different input and main shafts for it. Otherwise 900 is it. You have to use the converters I use with my setups so you can have WOT lockup. I didn't mean to take the thread, just letting you know one is available soon.
 

qbnkiller

Conflaguration Specialist
Re: Tranny grenaded again (6th rebuild)

yup...been there, done that! You have options...research them and make a decision....if you have the $$, the 4L80e is real nice. If not, the TH400 is rock-solid.
 

George Blake

DONATING MEMBER
Re: Tranny grenaded again (6th rebuild)

If you decide to go with the 400, I can get the plate to adapt it and have 2 shafts in stock. Lots of options.
 

HighPerformanceTrucks

Lift & Shift Specialist
Re: Tranny grenaded again (6th rebuild)

It won't be an easy decision. There are a lot of practical reasons not to convert to manual, but there are a few important personal reasons why I may convert to stick.

4l80 /400

Advantages

Strength
Can stick with a nice stump pulling low reving Sy/Ty motor
Preserves Sy/Ty behavior that makes them so deadly from a stop.
Quicker
Less drivetrain shock

Disadvantages

Weight
Reciprocating mass/increased windage
Loss of that nice 1/2 shift (so I've been told)
Still an auto which can be prone to mechanical gremlins
Not the best for throttle response for road racing


 

Robert Lone

MUTANT
Re: Tranny grenaded again (6th rebuild)

ivanko barbell said:
It won't be an easy decision. There are a lot of practical reasons not to convert to manual, but there are a few important personal reasons why I may convert to stick.

You don't know the power of the Dark Side. Join me, and together, we will rule the Universe. :robot:
 

HighPerformanceTrucks

Lift & Shift Specialist
Re: Tranny grenaded again (6th rebuild)

700R4's are for suckers like me!

I've decided to install a sequential shift rolex sports car trans. Got it for $100 bucks! Of course I'm converting the Sy to mid engine in the bed for the transaxle setup to work properly.

Captain Morgan said:
damnit, you got me beat :( Im only on my 5th and all this time I was worried about Jimmy catching me :lol:
 

SyTyJedi

Jedi Council
Re: Tranny grenaded again (6th rebuild)

Jeremy's truck went .2 faster in the 1/4 after switching to the 80E. I don't think the weight increase is a huge factor. You don't need all the super huge line pressure of the 700R4 to put the power down. The 80E is much smoother with less pressure which I think helps lead to the longer life.
 

HighPerformanceTrucks

Lift & Shift Specialist
Re: Tranny grenaded again (6th rebuild)

Yeah my 700R4 had huge pressure apply too. I actually blew out the stock pump one of my previous failures and I stepped up to a billet pump. If I go with auto, I'll do the 4L80 setup, but I first need to decide first if I'm going lazy shift or not.



SyTyJedi said:
Jeremy's truck went .2 faster in the 1/4 after switching to the 80E. I don't think the weight increase is a huge factor. You don't need all the super huge line pressure of the 700R4 to put the power down. The 80E is much smoother with less pressure which I think helps lead to the longer life.
 

Jimmy

Banned
Re: Tranny grenaded again (6th rebuild)

Captain Morgan said:
damnit, you got me beat :( Im only on my 5th and all this time I was worried about Jimmy catching me :lol:
I believe mine is done breaking.The last time mine "broke",the only thing that was wrong with it was a busted small sprag.As soon as I noticed the problem,I pulled the trans and shipped it to SC.
Waller had already developed a custom cryo treated piece for this weakness,and put one in mine for basically free. Been daily driving/racing on it for about 8 months now. :tup:
 
Re: Tranny grenaded again (6th rebuild)

Id say do the 4L80Eswap, and preserve everything you have come to know and love about the syclone and then you will finally be rid of the one part of the Syclone everybody hates.


If only GM had done the 80E from the factory, theyed probably still be making these things.
 

myclone

Donating Member
Re: Tranny grenaded again (6th rebuild)

SeattleSy#1255 said:
6th....holly crap!

4L80e and be done with it.

Agreed... I got tired of pulling the 700 (I quite counting at 22 times) went with a 80E. Funniest part is that the 700 had ~120 miles on it, all cryo'ed, blah, blah blah and was working perfect but I was so discusted with it by that time Im yanked it back out for the final time to do the 80e swap. There will never be a 700R4 in syclone #614 ever again as long as I own it.
 

TYGUY

New member
Re: Tranny grenaded again (6th rebuild)

ivanko barbell said:
Ive had it with the 700R4.


just for my own info.... how fast is your truck. thats a lot of broken 700's
 
Top