O2 simulator

tealty

New member
Does anyone know where I can buy an o2 simulator for my truck? Does it have to be syty specific, or can I use one made for....say an LS1 fbody?
Thanks
Jordan
 

protosy

New member
you dont need one of those for a non-obdii vehicle.. The only reason the ls1 guys want them are so they can get rid of the cat. obdii checks to see a difference in o2 before and after the cat.

chad
 

tealty

New member
I have the BG 50# chip. Someone told me I can just unplug the connector to the o2 sensor and it would work just as well....I dont know if this is true. Anybody know?
The reason I want an o2 simm is to get rid of my o2 sensor. I know you are thinking im crazy, but this is for a blazer with a syty motor and Im not going to be reading the readings from my o2 when racing. Heck it doesnt even have wires for the ALDL connector to plug in datamaster. Im mainly going to be reading knock. I'd rather the o2 not interupt anything while driving around town.
Thanks
Jordan
 

V6 Kompressor

New member
The O2 reading is real important, especially when cruising...Too lean, creat a bunch of unwanted heat/burnt valves pistons ect... to rich, fouled plugs, lots of gas in the crankcase oil, washed out cyl. walls, rapidly worn rings, excessive blowby... Are you sure this is what you want??
 

7dhamper

New member
I've heard of wiring a certain value capacitor or diode in line between the O2 sensor and the ECM or where ever it goes to. I thought it said that this alows you to run more fuel into the cumbustion chamber based on the value of the capacitor od diode. This is good if you have boost like a turbo or blower. Maybe it was so you can run open exhaust? I can't remeber, but I know that someone on here knows what the Hell I'm talking about!
 

sy1765

New member
On 2002-04-04 21:45, tealty wrote:
I have the BG 50# chip. Someone told me I can just unplug the connector to the o2 sensor and it would work just as well....I dont know if this is true. Anybody know?
it runs like ass. i'd try getting a sim or see if keith can work around it.
 

V6 Kompressor

New member
If the ecm doesn't actually know what fuel mixture your engine is running at, then it cannot adjust the Inj. Pulse width to compensate for altitude, weather, ect... So.... Why have Sensors at all.... Do away with Map, Coolant temp, Man. Temp, throttle Position, ect... the reason it was done away with on the Saudi exports, along with the Cat, was Leaded fuel, and they had to program around it on the chip... these trucks had to be tuned just about every 10k miles..., like in the old days on Pre 74 model/points triggered cars... Damn, Just about told my age... :grin:
 

leroy

Donating Member
I think the O2 sensor's main job is to keep the catalytic converter "happy". It doesn't do that good a job since there are only 2 blm cells...closed throttle and open throttle. The O2 sensor tries to maintain 14.7:1 a/f ratio to keep the converter working, and only when certain conditions are met. Most people would not notice any difference by switching to open loop. In fact, things like idle, cruise, and economy can be improved.

Bottom line is don't waste money on a simulator. It doesn't sound like you need to disconnect your O2 sensor at all. If you want to try open loop, the chip should be modified. You can set KO2ATIME to zero seconds, and will never go closed loop.

Jim
 

tealty

New member
Great, thanks for the help guys.....I think i'm gonna try reburning the chip with the tip from Jim.
thanks again,
JOrdan
 

7dhamper

New member
You can set KO2ATIME to zero seconds said:
So if you do this to the computer do you still have to have a catalitic converter and a hole where the O2 sensor mounts or can you just ditch it all and run straight side pipes? I do not currently have any turbos. I have a ram air scoop feeding the big K&N open air filter. TBI. I have dual exhaust coming from the factory manifolds and exiting before the rear tires. I'd like to lose the 2 cats and get my Check Engine light to go off and stop telling me that I need a new O2 sensor.
 
Top