modified distributor rotor

leroy

Donating Member
Re: modified distributor rotor

skata said:
no, doing this mod does not affect the timing. the timing is adjusted by rotating the distributor base. the magnetic points/ring under the rotor determines when the spark should occur.
if you do the rotor mod, nothing else needs to be done.
this mod just provides a better spark path when the ecm is really advancing the timing, ie idle and high rpm's.

You are right. Brain cramp.

Jim
 

CarbonFiber AWD

Donating Member
Re: modified distributor rotor

Wow...........I just did this mod by soldering a heavy gauge copper wire to the bug and man did it make a good bit of smoothness for me. :tup:
Been driving her hard all week and so far so good. I have pix of the bug...just haven't tried to upload them.Me not so computerness...lol. :oops:
I'm changing the plugs and gap a bit wider and also swapping out the wires for some decent Accels soon just to try and get this very last bid of idle from what is now just a subtle stutter.
Thanks for sharing this Idea, seems to work great.
vinny
 

NecroWolf

lost marbles member
Re: modified distributor rotor

i don't know about switching to accel wires is such a good idea. i put a set of 8.8's on my ty about two months ago and i was checking them with a multi meter recently and they were pretty well cooked already.
 

Bill Z

Donating Member
Re: modified distributor rotor

After running your modified rotor for a while, what does your cap and rotor look like with say 1000 miles? Is there less burning of the ends?

I am thinking of trying it anyway. Maybe build a sort of ramp up side on the leading edge just in case something touches.
 

skata

Donating Member
Re: modified distributor rotor

CarbonFiber AWD said:
Wow...........I just did this mod by soldering a heavy gauge copper wire to the bug and man did it make a good bit of smoothness for me. :tup:
Been driving her hard all week and so far so good. I have pix of the bug...just haven't tried to upload them.Me not so computerness...lol. :oops:
I'm changing the plugs and gap a bit wider and also swapping out the wires for some decent Accels soon just to try and get this very last bid of idle from what is now just a subtle stutter.
Thanks for sharing this Idea, seems to work great.
vinny

it's nice to hear that this little mod helped your truck run smoother.

try this website to host your pictures. i'd like to see how you modified your rotor.

http://imageshack.us/
 

skata

Donating Member
Re: modified distributor rotor

nightdiver said:
Hey George, how much longer is the tip now ?
it's at least a solid 1/16th of an inch longer, or according to your euro metric scale, at least 1 mm longer.
i took an extra distributor i had laying around and cut a hole in the cap so that i could see how much of a gap there was between the rotor and the cap.
 

myclone

Donating Member
Re: modified distributor rotor

CarbonFiber AWD said:
swapping out the wires for some decent Accels

Its your truck but personally I wouldnt do that. A bud of mine just got finished pulling his hair out trying to diagnose a crappy running sy. It was the accel plugs wires so IMO youre setting yourself up for a potential headache.
 

GM TURBO

Sell Out
Re: modified distributor rotor

I had Accell wires in mine. Ran well for awhile. Turned to shit quick. On a stock'ish truck I'd go Taylors or ATR.
 

myclone

Donating Member
Re: modified distributor rotor

GM TURBO said:
I had Accell wires in mine. Ran well for awhile. Turned to shit quick. On a stock'ish truck I'd go Taylors or ATR.

110% what happened to him. Ran good for a little while then went to crap. He tackled everything but the plug wires first. ~4months+accel wires+syty=bald frustrated owner.
 

CarbonFiber AWD

Donating Member
Re: modified distributor rotor

Accell wires are bad news ? Damn ! Guess I'll sell them and go with Taylors or something.
One of you guys want me to email you my pix of the rotor mod and then post them up here ?
So far I've only gone through about a tank and a half....so far so good. I'll pull the cap again soon when I change out the plugs and wires, and tell you what I see in there.
Once the wires are in and the cap hasn't been Barfed by the bad old wires ,I'll give her a go again and report. Sounds like I'll need to open the gap on the plugs to gain spark there since the gap is now closer in the cap and rotor ?
Vinny :cool:
 

Jer

Don't taze me bro!
Re: modified distributor rotor

CarbonFiber AWD said:
PIX-[img=http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/5198/3rdpix0010rr.th.jpg]

See if this worked for an image ?
.............Vinny

That image worked for me. Here it is for those too lazy to click the link themselves:

3rdpix0010rr.jpg
 

Jer

Don't taze me bro!
Re: modified distributor rotor

I too would like to try this.

Would this help as much if someone was running a 6a and blaster coil or is this primarily gonna benefit those with stock ignition? Seems to me this mod would extend the life of the cap/rotor combo and one could even change out the little copper wire at the end if it became charred as long as everything else was fine.
 
Top