Built Engine ideas

nallj92

Active member
Re: Built Engine ideas

Justin, didn't you go to a Custom cam instead of your 422? If so, did you notice a difference? Also can you please give me some more info on your build since we have the same Turbo?

Thanks,


I had a 422 and sold it for a campbell custom grind. The combo changed so much between the two that I cannot say accurately if it was "better". if your buying a cam new i would look into a custom grind, but if your looking used, i think a 422 would be fine, it all comes down to budget.

Off the top of my head.....

Block: 4 bolt splayed, half hardblock fill, JE pistons, eagle rods
Heads: ported 2.02 1.60 vortecs, custom campbell automotive camshaft 1.6 Comp roller rockers, edelbrock double roller chain

60lb injectors, alky control dual nozzle kit, 58mm throttle body. Ebay FMIC, PTE 63mm Turbo. TCS9/11 3300 stall converter, Built 700r4 trans

I have been too lazy to get it really dialed and tuned in all the way, still fighting some false knock, and contemplating selling the motor and doing a LS swap.

hth
 

Aeroking

e.i.
Re: Built Engine ideas

, and contemplating selling the motor and doing a LS swap.

ahh gay.



Sean, pistons are regular SBC, so they sohuldnt be hard to come by. You can buy JE, or Ross, or SpeedPro, or Mahle, or Diamond, what ever you want, definitely go forged. A 20cc dish will keep the comp. ratio down low for high boost. I also vote for a custom cam, ERue hooked me up with mine., idles as smooth as stock, but pulls like mad above 4500.
 

nallj92

Active member
Re: Built Engine ideas

ahh gay.



Sean, pistons are regular SBC, so they sohuldnt be hard to come by. You can buy JE, or Ross, or SpeedPro, or Mahle, or Diamond, what ever you want, definitely go forged. A 20cc dish will keep the comp. ratio down low for high boost. I also vote for a custom cam, ERue hooked me up with mine., idles as smooth as stock, but pulls like mad above 4500.


well, its either, MS3x on the 4.3, a TT LS build, or i have a little oddfire 5.0 V6 sitting here also.
 

Sean Krupa

Moderator
Re: Built Engine ideas

I honestly have no clue on how much I want to spend as long as it gets finished. I will slowly be getting parts for the new build as $ allows. Still have mods I want to do to the Ty this winter like Coilovers etc. No rush for the new build, my stock engine is still running strong with 99k miles.

Like the old saying goes, if it aight broke, don't fix it.

I appreciate all the opinions! :tup:

Also, will be going with the Custom Cam Brandon (Syclone#2960) has. So I can cross that off my list.
 
Last edited:

jpalmer

New member
Re: Built Engine ideas

4 bolts yes, custom cam yes, diamond pistons yes, stay as small as you can on your bore size. Your boosted, turn it up a pound. Big whoop.
 

cloneman315

Active member
Re: Built Engine ideas

Srp only 10 psi? Aren't there a ton of guys including myself running these in high boost motors?I think mike lee uses them in most of his builds.it has been a while since I bought mine and just can't t remember.Again I watch my tune and afr and always run good gas vpc116 on high boost levels.Just curious were the 10 psi number if it came from srp?
 

Ty 1885

Member
Re: Built Engine ideas

Srp only 10 psi? Aren't there a ton of guys including myself running these in high boost motors?I think mike lee uses them in most of his builds.it has been a while since I bought mine and just can't t remember.Again I watch my tune and afr and always run good gas vpc116 on high boost levels.Just curious were the 10 psi number if it came from srp?

That info came from one of the tech guys at JE (SRP=10psi max) I ran my SRPs at 20psi several times with no problems, however after talking to JE, I decided to be on the safe side and bought JEs.
 

SEL777

One of 101
Re: Built Engine ideas

Sean, as many have mentioned above:
4 bolt
custom cam
double timing chain

But I've found it's all the little things that add up;
gaskets,
SFI balancer
SFI flexplate
lifters and pushrods
different injectors
high performance ignition (dist, coil, box)
fuel system
and if I know you...better set aside extra for all the coating you'll be doing along the way, as well as any of the block machining...and filling etc.

I know you're the planning type, so figure out the goals of what your turbo can support and build around that.

I made a detailed list of parts and made a few sections on what I have and what I still needed and/or wanted. I went another step to list the cost of said items, and where to get them or where I got them so I could easily get them once the funds allowed.

Good luck on your quest.
 
Top