Built Engine ideas

Sean Krupa

Moderator
Some of you guys know, I bought a Spare engine that I went over in my last semester Engine rebuilding class. I basically disassembled, and cleaned it.

So far I have Vortec heads, that I did a 3 angle valve job, ground the valves, and decked .007" which raised my CR up .5 a point.

Since I finally got a (real) job in the Automotive field in a body shop, I can finally gather parts for the new build. I want to go Forged Pistons/Rods, Stock Crank, Vortec Heads/Cam.

Here's what I got planned and looking for ideas on what to get:

Vortec Heads- Lightly Ported (by me), stock valves

Camshaft- Should I get an off the shelf Comp Cams 422, since plenty of Bins to use? Or Custom?

Valve Springs- Would LS6 243 Springs work? (Can get them cheap)

Rocker Arms- Is it benefical to get upgraded rockers like 1.5s or 1.6s over stock Vortec arms?

Stock Crank- I polished the journals, should I get it Nitrated/Cryo treated?

Eagle H-beam rods

SRP Pistons- stock Cyl walls are fine (measured them) should I go .020" incase something happened and needed to go more?

2 Bolt or 4 bolt Mains? Do I need 4 bolts for 11's?

My performance goals are to run Mid 11's on a relatively mild/aggressive tune. Not looking to get the best of everything, just to have a strong bottom end that will last with Track time a couple times a year. The mods I have currently are in my Sig. If I'm missing something please chime in!

Thank you,
 

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Re: Built Engine ideas

I'm considering Total Seal, top ring only, if/when I freshen the motor this winter. I know one person who had a bad experience, scored cyls, but best guess is it was the Napeir(sp?) second ring. Probably goes without saying but don't forget to have it balanced, and by someone who knows these motors.

If not Total Seal then at least a file ring set. I'd also invest in a tapered ring compressor. Well worth the $ IMHO. Makes assembly so much easier.
 

qbnkiller

Conflaguration Specialist
Re: Built Engine ideas

I have run the Total Seal AP rings (with the Napier) on last two engines with no ring/cylinder bore issues. I have seen same ring package used in engines well over 2khp.
 

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Re: Built Engine ideas

I have run the Total Seal AP rings (with the Napier) on last two engines with no ring/cylinder bore issues. I have seen same ring package used in engines well over 2khp.

I know, very popular. This was just one person so who knows. Coulda been any number of things that happened.
 

Sean Krupa

Moderator
Re: Built Engine ideas

I more than likely will have my teacher who works at an engine/machine shop build it for me. Doesn't look like the SRP pistons come with rings on RPMs site, so I'll have to look into those Total Seal rings.

As always, all opinions are appreciated :tup:
 

Quickstop [UK]

Combating adversyty.
Re: Built Engine ideas

Stock rocker arms are 1.52 ratio. If you want pretty rocker arms then go with the roller rocker upgrades but that means messing around with washers and rocker post sizes and problems with valve covers etc. You would not notice the difference if you kept the stock arms. Save the money.

And spend that money on a custom cam grind. 415 and 422 are n/a cams with too much overlap in my limited opinion. A custom grind is only a few dollars more and will net you much more power than the rockers would.

I nitrided my crank - it won't stop it breaking in a catastrophic event but will make it more resistant to minor abuse ie detonation.

Definitely do 4 bolt mains - forged rods, forged pistons, upgraded heads... You really want to have to take the motor apart in 1 or 2 years to do the mains? Nope. You've clearly got the upgrade bug and this is standard.

Be very careful porting your heads. 3 angle valve job is great but amateur porting could see you going through water jackets etc. It's very labour intensive, you could mess it up and you may not even achieve that much. The vortecs flow something like 240cfm over stock 160cfm so just enjoy that and max them out before worrying about something as hit and miss as amateur porting.

What turbo?

Looking forward to seeing this monster come alive!

:tup:
 

Sean Krupa

Moderator
Re: Built Engine ideas

Thanks Mark! That's the info I was looking for. By Lightly porting, I meant just clean up the rough casting marks some nothing major. Glad I can use my stock rocker arms, and will consider using a custom cam for sure. I will do the 4 bolt mains, makes sense and I deffinetely don't wana pull the motor again.

I will be keeping/using my Precision 63mm for the new build. The 63 should have no problem getting me in the 11's.

If anyone has any parts laying around that I can use for my new build, LMK.

Sean
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Built Engine ideas

A custom cam would be best.
I would do 1.5 rockers ported don't flow cfm any more past .500 lift.
I would do 4 bolt mains while your rebuilding it, it's a lot of work to change that.
You could do 0.020 over pistons but use what ever is available some brands those are special order pistons.
 

Sean Krupa

Moderator
Re: Built Engine ideas

RPM sells SRP pistons from stock bore-.040 over. Thinking about getting the .020 pistons.
http://www.sytyperformance.com/inde...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26


I believe Autoaddictions ran 10's with the 422 comp cam and so did WindedV6. Can't be that bad even though it's made for NA motors, I just want Mid-high 11's. Plus it sounds good. But if a custom gain would gain me a couple tenths over a 422 then I'll get a custom. Will have to talk to the vendors when the time comes.

Below is a 422 cam, 1.6 rockers, 9.5 CR.



Thanks,
 

jklein68

Donating Member
Re: Built Engine ideas

Talked about twice, but I would look into 4 bolt mains with splayed caps. This might sound crazy but consider some block filler, no more than a half fill. I've done it and I think a couple of other people have done it without negatively impacting cooling. Just helps keep that lower end together even if your not going for crazy HP. With the cooling upgrades everyone does it doesn't have an impact.

Also, talk to Mike at RPM about a CAM he's got a couple of mild grinds that are great. There is also another vendor on here, the name slips my mind, that is well known for custom grinds. I don't think that there is that much of a price delta with a custom grind.
 

Syclone#2960

What ever it takes!!
Re: Built Engine ideas

Sean I have a brand new custom cam I ordered from Turbo time Im not going to use...simliar to my sy cam.
I also would recommend diamond pistons..they are lighter than the SRP's.
 

Sean Krupa

Moderator
Re: Built Engine ideas

You mind sharing a source on where you can get the Diamond pistons for our engines? Also can you provide the specs on the Cam along with the build it was made for?

BTW- I love my PTE63 that I bought from you!
 

cloneman315

Active member
Re: Built Engine ideas

I run 10s with a 415 but that was a while back when we built my engine,I would look into a custom grind now with all these tuning options now available
 

It's just a six

Super Member
Re: Built Engine ideas

I always like to use roller rockers, less valve guide wear, tips of the valves wear.
Mainly, they give you a true lift from all the rockers, stamped rockers are known to vary in actual ratios.
Comp camp rockers w/just a roller tip would be a minumum for your rebuild I would recommend.

Going w/a 1.6 rocker will give you a bit of increase in duration, you just do not neccesarily need to go much over .500" lift, going a bit over is not going to hurt anything though.
The heads do not flow much more over .500" lift.
 

wildphil

I Love My Ty's
Re: Built Engine ideas

Sean if you are going to run higher boost. Say like around 20+ psi. You may want to go with JE extreme duty pistons. They cast a little more than the SRP. But should be better at the higher boost. :2cents:
 

Syclone#2960

What ever it takes!!
Re: Built Engine ideas

You mind sharing a source on where you can get the Diamond pistons for our engines? Also can you provide the specs on the Cam along with the build it was made for?

BTW- I love my PTE63 that I bought from you!

I think I might have the original box the pistons came in...I will have to check.
On the cam I can give you the grind # from comp.
 

Sean Krupa

Moderator
Re: Built Engine ideas

Justin, didn't you go to a Custom cam instead of your 422? If so, did you notice a difference? Also can you please give me some more info on your build since we have the same Turbo?

Thanks,
 

Ty 1885

Member
Re: Built Engine ideas

Sean if you are going to run higher boost. Say like around 20+ psi. You may want to go with JE extreme duty pistons. They cast a little more than the SRP. But should be better at the higher boost. :2cents:

I agree, SRP pistons are rated for no more than 10psi according to JE. Some people ran them with 18-20 psi, but why risk it?
 
Top