AFPR leaking down under vacum test

JoeLutz

New member
Today I hooked up a hand vaccum pump to my AFPR and when I pump it up to about 20inHg Vaccum, it slowly leaks down. Takes about 10-15sec. to leak down from 20 to arround 10. Is this acceptable leak down or should I try to fix it? Any suggestions?
Thanks

_________________
Lenoir, NC
seadooZuk.jpg

Is it summer yet?


<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: joelutz on 2002-02-19 00:57 ]</font>
 

smeagol

Active member
Key on the truck, pressure will shoot up, see how long it stays up.

One test to find where the pressure is leaking off is to do this... (I had a situation where I questioned the pump setup).

Put a set of small vise grips at the flex line after the regulator (or even on the return line down by the filter where it is rubber). Main thing is that it is flexible line after the FPR. Key on, pressure goes up, crimp the vise grip. Note if pressure goes down or not. Ok, now put the vise grips on the flexible feed line by the fuel filter. Key on, close the vise grips, see if pressure drops.

If pressure drops in first case, but not second, it is most likely leaking at the tank. If it drops at the second case, but not the first, it is at the injectors or FPR to the return line. If it leaks at both, it is injectors or FPR leaking to vacuum lines.

Note: if you install the Walbro without the checkvalve, it will leakdown pressure at the tank once you shut it off. Not a crucial issue, but you may have hard starting etc.
_________________
Brian Green
www.chitownsyty.com
syclone160@yahoo.com
lenny_computer.gif


<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tom Servo on 2002-02-18 07:14 ]</font>
 

JoeLutz

New member
No I don't mean its leaking down fuel pressure. I mean its leaking vaccum.
Sorry to mislead.
_________________
Lenoir, NC
seadooZuk.jpg

Is it summer yet?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JoeLutz on 2002-02-18 08:59 ]</font>
 

V6 Kompressor

New member
I don't think that 40 inches of vacuum is possible, oh no, wait a minute...suck suzy suck, blow is just an expression....
 

JoeLutz

New member
On 2002-02-18 21:35, Dragrace55 wrote:
I don't think that 40 inches of vacuum is possible, oh no, wait a minute...suck suzy suck, blow is just an expression....
My bad. You are right, I meant to say 20 inHg. Actually I was thinking about 40 because the gage went to 40 and I was wondering how you could ever get it that high since that would be lower abs. pressure than an absolute vaccum. Its been a long week.
 

V6 Kompressor

New member
No Problem Joe, I think there is a bleed off on the vacuum side of the fpr, but, make sure that it is not drawing fuel through the "wet" side of the regulator...I have seen this problem, mostly in fords, but it causes an intermitant to constant rich condition and sometimes fuel presure can go to max pump output... make sure there is no trace of fuel in the vacuum line/system...Tom Servo (BG) details the best way to test the regulator's actual operation...
 
Top