Who can program my KB Chip?

WyoSyclone

Active member
Hi Guys,
Well, I think I'm finally confident enought with my Sy (I'm a Newbie) that I can start making some changes. First off, I can't get in touch with the people who did the frame-off resto of my Sy. So, I have no idea what has been done to it other than what I can see and what I have receipts for.
It's obvious the engine was completely disassembled and rebuilt - everything is basically new. The changes that I know have been made are: KB street chip (no knock retard), 3" cat back exhaust.
From my old drag racing days my butt dynamometer tells me this truck is running low 12's, maybe mid 12's. It runs strong, has no issues (idles great, good response, no discernible knock, great power, etc.). So, there may have been more done to it than I can tell just by looking.
My first concern is to keep it safe. Having said that I now know the KB chip disables the knock retard. I will opt for a wideband and other mods (Alky, etc.) sometime in the future, but right now I just want to keep it in one piece - it's too nice to break due to stupidity!

To the point, can anyone here reprogram my chip to enable the knock retard? I dont' want anything else changed, just enable the knock retard. Is this do-able, and a good first step??

Thanks guys, any help is much appreciated! (BTW - I'm in the purchasing mode for test equipment, etc. Any recommendations on dataloggers, considering 59's imminent release would be MUCH appeciated).

....Rob
 
Last edited:

turbodig

Active member
Re: Who can program my KB Chip?

WyoSyclone said:
Hi Guys,
Well, I think I'm finally confident enought with my Sy (I'm a Newbie) that I can start making some changes. First off, I can't get in touch with the people who did the frame-off resto of my Sy. So, I have no idea what has been done to it other than what I can see and what I have receipts for.
It's obvious the engine was completely disassembled and rebuilt - everything is basically new. The changes that I know have been made are: KB street chip (no knock retard), 3" cat back exhaust.
From my old drag racing days my butt dynamometer tells me this truck is running low 12's, maybe mid 12's. It runs strong, has no issues (idles great, good response, no discernible knock, great power, etc.). So, there may have been more done to it than I can tell just by looking.
My first concern is to keep it safe. Having said that I now know the KB chip disables the knock retard. I will opt for a wideband and other mods (Alky, etc.) sometime in the future, but right now I just want to keep it in one piece - it's too nice to break due to stupidity!

To the point, can anyone here reprogram my chip to enable the knock retard? I dont' want anything else changed, just enable the knock retard. Is this do-able, and a good first step??

Thanks guys, any help is much appreciated! (BTW - I'm in the purchasing mode for test equipment, etc. Any recommendations on dataloggers, considering 59's imminent release would be MUCH appeciated).

....Rob


Can it be done? -sure.

Is it going to be very good? - no.

Better off programming to a different base entirely.
(Send me a PM)
 

SBNova

New member
Re: Who can program my KB Chip?

Is it going to be very good? - no.

It could ALWAYS be better, no matter what tune you have. If your happy with it as-is, enabling the KR and setting it to retard a nice safe # of degrees is just a couple of clicks, and a reburn.

No disrespect implied Dig.
 

JSM

Active member
Re: Who can program my KB Chip?

I would agree that chip is worse than a stock. Start with something better then tune from there.
 

WyoSyclone

Active member
Re: Who can program my KB Chip?

Thanks for the input, guys... much appreciated, as always :)
I forgot to mention that I do have the stock Memcal with stock chip, in addition to what is in the truck right now. I got the oil changed yesterday and did a thorough once over of the truck as well. I think I'll put the stock MemCal and chip in tonight and see how it runs, then go from there.
If you don't mind, I'll PM you guys and get some more input. I'm desperately trying to get the build specs on the motor from the guys who did it, but they're not returning phone calls :( Kinda' hard trying to make progress until I get some info on the build and/or start datalogging.
 

turbodig

Active member
Re: Who can program my KB Chip?

SBNova said:
It could ALWAYS be better, no matter what tune you have. If your happy with it as-is, enabling the KR and setting it to retard a nice safe # of degrees is just a couple of clicks, and a reburn.

No disrespect implied Dig.

None taken. :)

Only reason I say it, is because I've tried it before. They run like crap because the base timing is so high, it pulls huge amounts of KR out.

By the time you "fix" it, (ie, rework the timing table and the fuel) you pretty much have a different base. Not to mention, there are whole sections of stuff that are screwed up that need to be fixed... lotsa time involved.

Later,
 

WyoSyclone

Active member
Re: Who can program my KB Chip?

Dig gave me a heads up that the stock Memcal/chip won't work properly with #40's. I'm just going to be a good boy and stay out of the boost until I get a safe setup.
 

AUSyTyIN

Unbusted $#it box
Re: Who can program my KB Chip?

Good call. There is a guy in Denver who burns custom chips named Dan Cheatham. Not to step on anyone's toes, but he is closer, and probably a closer drive.
 

tyndago

New member
Re: Who can program my KB Chip?

The KB chips I had were built off a different base chip. You couldn't even turn the KR back on.

The KB stuff was horrible at best. Talk to some of the guys that do chips on here, like dig, nolan, jeff....

Going from a KB chip to a good tune on my Ty took me from a 13.4 to an 11.9.
 

syclone3

Member
Re: Who can program my KB Chip?

I have seen the opposite. Going from an ATR, Connelly chips to the KB street the truck picked up. From 13.2 to 12.4. I agree they knock like a whore in church without sufficient octane. The KB street chip needs pretty much 100 octane. And the Shootout chip 116 or higher. That chip picked it up another 4 tenths. In no way safe to be used on the street though.
Now that I have an AWD dyno. Might pick up an Ostrich and burn me a couple 40 pound programs for my newly built engine Syclone. And my newest all original Syclone, few programs. One for piss ass 91 and another for 100.
 
Top