Thought SS's were supposed to be fast

00Z28SS

New member
Re: Thought SS's were supposed to be fast

I've experienced that a few times. I get handed about 2 cars by a ty from a light till about 70, then I'm pulling away. Sy/Ty's are unreal from a launch. I wish I could pull 1.6 or 1.7 60 footers stock. Does anyonehave any 0-60 times on a stock Ty?
 

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD
Re: Thought SS's were supposed to be fast

I dont lie or tell "stories". I tell the truth. My TY IS stock. The only things I have done is cold air, egr delete, hotwire IC, and shurflo. Oh yeah, no wheel wells and other crap that gets in my way when I work on it. Im sorry that you feel I suck and am full of crap. I have better things to do than make shit up all day. Youre attitude really sucks though IMO. Just cause you have one doesnt mean youre the greatest thing since sliced bread, maybe the TY you raced wasnt running well or maybe mine just runs great or maybe these guys cant drive I dont know and I dont care. Like I said, until one takes me in stock form Im not impressed. I couldnt believe it when this guy couldnt pull on me and we were hitting about 70ish. He was still about 4 cars back. And as for the Z06's go, well, youre more than welcome to come out here and roll with me for the night if you dont believe me. I havent had the opportunity to race one at the track yet but well see what happens. I think about 90% of a fast car is the driver in a sports car. I feel that same holds true with the SYTY's. I think Ive mastered the ol boost launch and it IS something you are or arent good at. Anyway, I hate having to defend myself against people like you who cant believe someone just cause they own the car in discussion and cant accept that it is possible for a 13 year old truck to beat it. Maybe its the altitude. Come up and see.

Mike
 

00Z28SS

New member
Re: Thought SS's were supposed to be fast

I never once questioned how fast sy/ty's are. They are bada$$ "13 year old" trucks. It's just hard to believe that you are smoking SS's and beating Z06. Then you say you barely beat a ws6 by a half car which is the same car as an SS, except an SS is lighter. And for your buddy's Z28 02 Z28 only running 14.8 and he's a good driver? No way that he knows what he's doing. There has been multiple sy/ty owners on this tread that have said the same thing I'm saying. "psmvchaser: Yeah, maybe he did'nt know how to drive because my buddy has an '00 SS and I can pull about 1-2 lengths from the light, but he catches me at about 70 and blows by me. He runs 13.2's stock all day. and "myclone Quote:Last time I was at Mooresville I got spanked twice by an LS1/6spd SS. Id rape him off the line but by half track we were even and by the finish he had ~2 lengths on me. Yeah, he was sprayin but Im not stock either so be aware when picking on LS1s with a non retard driver cause they can easily run down a syty. I wasn't saying that you "suck" or saying that your truck "sucks", I was simply calling your "story" BS. I'm sorry if you think my attitude sucks, i'm just here to talk cars. I'm a fan of all sports cars and it seems to me that you are the one, not me, who thinks their car or "13 year old truck" is the greatest thing since sliced bread. :roll:
 

limige

machinist
Re: Thought SS's were supposed to be fast

well, comparing syty's as a stock vehicle is kinda funny.
they are a factory performance vehicle.
compare apples to apples and find a stage 3 2002 berger camaro to run.
then tell me how bad your "stock" syty is...

lol, anyway, both vehicles rock, gm didn't give the fbod's enough traction to deal with the power, most people use cheap z rated tires, instead of paying for something sticky, not to mention the clutches aren't the greatest either. the auto guys could've used some better gears off the lot as well.

congrats on the kills anyhow.

mike
 

T-Bone

Active member
Re: Thought SS's were supposed to be fast

Mike, I got your back. Just keep on getting out there dishin out whoopins!!! Your Ty spooled up awful quick when I was out there to get my Sy, but then again the road was solid ice and blanketed with 1" of snow so that may have contributed to the quick spool up :))).
 

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD
Re: Thought SS's were supposed to be fast

Actually, my TY does spool up pretty quick. Ive put a but load of time into getting my truck to run the way it does. And I mean a lot and it really pisses me off for someone who doesnt even know me to come along and tell me Im B.S.. When I raced the Z06 it wasnt a 1/4 mile but still took him a while to catch up. When I say forever I say it cause it seems that way when youre in a truck and a Z06 has to bust ass to catch up. Any SYTY owner knows what Im talking about. As for the SS and the WS6, everywhere Ive looked the SS weighs a coup[le hundred more lbs. I always thought they were the same also. This is why I made the post in Off Topic about stat arguments. I can say that just about every SS Ive ever raced has had a bit more wheel spin than my friends WS6. His is an automatic and when you punch it from a stop it has NO spin at all. Well, maybe a chirp. My friend with the Z28 seriously is an awsome driver. Hes had 2 12 sec cars and knows what hes doing. Try not to forget about second you lose when youre 6000 ft. up. We are at high altitude and it affects performance drastically. Maybe I have an advantage up here since turbo is not as affected but hey thats cool with me. I really dont care much to argue cause I respect this site and I know the Mods dont like it so Im not going to argue about it much more. I am someone who doesnt lie and you can take it for what its worth. I think you need to realize that there are many different elements in racing and you have to be a llittle open to the fact some things are just possible. Anyway, what is a berger camaro? Is this better or the same as an SLP? I actually got the chance to go up against an SLP the other night. It was pretty sweet. At 40 we hit it and he destroyed me. We caught a light and he just couldnt get decent traction so he gave up. Maybe next time. Wouldve been nice to see how long it took him to get me. Oh yeah I do think my truck is great that is why I joined the SYTY forum. Im sure the guys on the Camaro forums feel the same way about thier cars. Thats how it goes dude, get used to it. There are many other posts just like mine so you might want to check them all out and start informing everyone that htey are B.S.. Hope not to keep this arguuing up, I expect the same respect I would give you if it were your post.

Mike
 

limige

machinist
Re: Thought SS's were supposed to be fast

the berger was a tribute to the old 70's berger camaro's.
the 02's were the last year of the fbods so they ran a limited production of these performance cars. they came in a stage 1-3. the stage 3 had an ls6 based motor pushing 600hp and came with a roll cage.

i'm not argueing, i know those trucks are fast, but like i said compare them to other perfomance vehicles, not your standard z or ss.

mike
 
Re: Thought SS's were supposed to be fast

SS compared to RS.

I'd say the SS is the performance oriented Camaro

Sonoma compared to Syclone

Sy is perfmance oriented.

Same ballpark
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Thought SS's were supposed to be fast

limige said:
well, comparing syty's as a stock vehicle is kinda funny.

limige said:
i'm not argueing, i know those trucks are fast, but like i said compare them to other perfomance vehicles, not your standard z or ss.

Is their an * on a F-body, why doesn't it compare. Is a f-body not a performance vehicle. If anything, SyTy have big disadvantage in being a truck with brick like areodynamics. From what I see you comparing it to an aftermarket/dealership modifying F-body vs a factory 'you could buy at any GMC dealership' Truck? From a highway roll, any LS1 will hand a stock SyTy its ass. Off the line its a different story as the LS1 will be strugling to catch up.
 

Ian Turgeon

Cascading Inspiration
Re: Thought SS's were supposed to be fast

Ok I have to chime in on this one, I'm not going to comment on the original story, an SS should have given you more of a run for your money, however mike... clasifying these trucks is a hard thing to do, and I think I have to disagree with you.

Sure Sy/Ty's went to P.A.S. for completion. And although this is not a GM factory completed vehicle, I in no way would compare them to the Berger Camaros and other one-off vehicles sold by third parties.

Sy/Ty's were availible to every dealer (who qualified) through GM, GM promoted them, and GM sold them. The Syclone and Typhoon showed up right next to the Sonoma and Jimmy in the brochures. This is as much of a factory vehicle as the SLP SS is.

Its not like P.A.S. sold them, or like this was a local dealer's modification package, so I in no way have a problem comparing it to any other factory vehicle.
 

BLACK92TY

It's never enough
Re: Thought SS's were supposed to be fast

The fact is you can say you won't respect a car like an SS or a WS6 or even a ZO6 until he beats you. But you're kidding yourself, especially with a stock Ty. If you get someone behind the wheel of any of those cars that even has the slightest idea what they're doing, you're going to see taillights.
I respect those cars because I've ridden and driven in almost all of them. Not to mention I've gotten my ass handed to me by a lot of cars just like them. It makes you humble real quick.
 

00Z28SS

New member

00Z28SS

New member
Re: Thought SS's were supposed to be fast

Typhooner, I guess that we are just going to have to agree to disagree. I wasn't trying to disrespect you. I think you have a sweet truck and to tell you the truth I wish I had one. The purpose of this site is to talk cars, and thats all I was doing man. Anyway, do you have any pic of you truck?
 

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD
Re: Thought SS's were supposed to be fast

Yeah I have some pics of my truck. Ive been trying to get them up as my avatar but none of them seem to work. So any way, I will admit that the Z06 would totally kill me in the 1/4 with a good drvier. I never said that we raced the 1/4. It does seem like froever for these thigs to catch up when were on the street. And I do actually respect the WS6 and Z06. I am a diehard Corvette fan and always have been. I just sold mine unfortunately to expand my business. I also have drvien all the F cars. GTO, Z28, Z06, WS6. They are fast. Havent driven an SS but all I can say is I havent raced one that could catch up. Seeing is believing and until I see one take me... To all the peope that this has offended, too bad, I tell the truth and tings are different up here in CO, FOR THE THIRD TIME!!! I plan on m aking some videos soon. If I make them can someone post them on here? Ho do you do that anyway? Good luck to all the SYTY haters. And welcome to OUR board. Not singling anyone out, not being rude. Thanks for showing some respect 00Z28SS. Thats all I ask. I dont slam anyone and dont expect to be slammed.

Mike
 

BLACK92TY

It's never enough
Re: Thought SS's were supposed to be fast

No big deal man. I'm just a GM loyalist who can't forget where he came from. Actually, my mom has the new GTO and I like to drive it when the Ty is limping. I friggin love it. Also, my dad just knows what he's doing. He has an 11 sec '71 Chevelle SS 454 along with his other 11 sec street driven LS1/LS6 Camaro.

So as you can see I got a pretty good idea of what "fast" is. I only hope that someday my Ty can knock out a V8 such as my old mans'.
 
Last edited:

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD
Re: Thought SS's were supposed to be fast

My frineds dad has a 69 Chevelle SS that he boughgt "totally restored" for 16 k. I personally thin k he got ripped. The paint looks like ass but it sits pretty with 10" wides in the back. Hes got the 295 50 15's on it. He has the 396 in it but he will NEVER race me. It drives me nuts. I even challenged him to the track but he wont go. My old boss has a 68 Camaro SS that IS in PERFECT shape. Its one of the baby blue ones with the white stripes. He wont race me either. They are a couple of ol farts though. I used to get into the older cars but carbs really discouraged me. I got the chance to drive a new GTO and I kinda liked it. Not really what I would buy buy it was a nice car. Had the sales man crappin himself.

Mike
 

timgt

UR2SLOW
Re: Thought SS's were supposed to be fast

I have a 2002 Z06 and a 1992 Typhoon, needless to say my Z06 is ALOT faster. but my Typhoon will outlaunch the piss out of the Z06 unless I mount some ET Streets or equivalant tire.

Must be the altitude.
 

blk00z28

Forced to by choice
Re: Thought SS's were supposed to be fast

limige said:
the berger was a tribute to the old 70's berger camaro's.
the 02's were the last year of the fbods so they ran a limited production of these performance cars. they came in a stage 1-3. the stage 3 had an ls6 based motor pushing 600hp and came with a roll cage.

i'm not argueing, i know those trucks are fast, but like i said compare them to other perfomance vehicles, not your standard z or ss.

mike

You would be somewhat right.

Other then the fact, that there were no stage 3 Burger cars. They only had the 380hp cars (stage I) and the 435hp cars. (stage II)
Same with some Tom Henry's and some others.. (ie: the Earnhart cars.)

The only cars that had the 600hp (or 400, dont know the middle one. and the 600) Were the 02 ZL1 cars. And a few others (like the Dick Harrell cars.) And you cant compare these cars to a SyTySGT. Because they only made 69 02 ZL1's, a hand full of the other 600hp ones and around 1k or so of the others for different dealers. Check out http://www.gmmginc.net/ if you dont believe me. They did every single one of those cars that you speak of.
 

Maxtor

New member
Re: Thought SS's were supposed to be fast

The Gen 3 and new Gen 4 powerplants are just awesome. One of the very few innovative things GM has done in the last decade IMHO. Someone should put a LS1 or LS6 in a SyTy and get the best of both worlds, right Tydriver? :lol:

As far as a modified F-body vs. a modified SyTy.... who cares. It comes down to peoples definition of "streetable" and the depth of your pockets. Any car can be fast if you throw enough money at it. A Focus could rape a SyTy or a F-Body with the right mods. I'll run anything on the street from a roll in my truck and very seldom lose, but it's far from stock so it really doesn't count.

I just can't see a Stock SyTy hanging with a Gen 3 powered car after 60mph, but on the street anything can happen. That's part of the fun. Nice kill, Mike.
 
Last edited:
Top