Suggest an amp

SyTyJedi

Jedi Council
I have some custom made kick panel pods that I am going to be populating with a set of CDT components soon and I need an amp to run those. My current setup is Eclipse 5301 headunit, Eclipse 4x6 and 6x9, and Kenwood powered 10" sub. I will probably pull the 4x6 once the components go in as they won't really be needed. I haven't been up on car audio stuff lately, and amps look a lot different than they did the last time I built a sound system.

Does a set of components require a 2 or 4 channel amp? Are some amps geared towards SQ (quality) and others towards SPL?

I am not trying to win any competitions, but rather trying to get the right amp to drive the speakers well and have them sound good. I have read that components need plenty of juice and a good amp is key to sound quality.

Any experiences or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
 

epix

Typhoon
Re: Suggest an amp

I run my CDT Components and Rear 6x9s off of a Lightning Audio S600.4 Amp.

Dash 4x6 i let the HU take care of.
 

epix

Typhoon
Re: Suggest an amp

I have the CDT EF-51 series, paid I believe about $170 for them brand new off a reseller.

I think they sound great and I am very happy with my purchase, giving these speakers 90 watts and they get loud and sound clear.
 

SyTyJedi

Jedi Council
Re: Suggest an amp

Thanks man.

So if I am just running the CDT components I need a 2 channel amp?
 

Spinall4

New member
Re: Suggest an amp

Running anything CDT makes of a lighting audio amp is pretty much pointless in my book, as CDT's are Great speakers, and you'll want a nice clean amp to push them.

My best recomendation right now is the older PG titanium amps. They're VERY clean, and coming down in price fast. Plus they look great also.

Other amps to consider
Zappco
ARC
JL audio
ADS

Are you getting kick pods made for a set of 2 way componets? IE tweeter and 6 1/2" midrage? or have you thought about doing a 3 way set up, with the tweeter and 4" speaker in the dash, and the 6 1/2 down in kick pods? Its more expensive, but this will be one sweet sounding setup when done right.
 

SyTyJedi

Jedi Council
Re: Suggest an amp

I have kick pods already made. I would like to do the CDT 7 series 3way setup, but then I remembered I would rather spend the cash on horsepower producing areas ;)

Thanks for the info, I will look into those amps.
 

100in6

100in6
Re: Suggest an amp

i'm certainly no audio expert, but i have an alpine head unit and boston accoustic speakers with an alpine amp. i think it sounds pretty good, and most people who ride in my camaro think it sounds really good. my camaro is pretty doggone loud so you have to crank it up just to hear it to begin with.

you might want to ask john gerber for a reccomendation. he used to use his ty in audio competitions when he owned a audio store. he is a really smart guy in general and i bet he knows what the good stuff is. he goes by windedv6. he's a nice guy and would be glad to help you i'm sure. try him for sure

les
 

93ty475

Donating Member
Re: Suggest an amp

I'm using a Harrison Labs amp in my syclone....Sounds great.... really great product....very compact but extremely powerful for the size......a little pricey.....also supposed to be the most efficient amp made when it comes to battery power....also using a digital designs subwoofer which is supposed to be one of the best SPL subwoofer brands offered....I'm only running one 8" sub and my back window vibrates as if it's about to shatter....the guy that made my enclosure designed it to a specific cubic feet and certain port area and length....here's a pic of a sub like mine..... www.ddaudio.com is the website on the subs...

dd 8" sub
 
Last edited:

SyTyJedi

Jedi Council
Re: Suggest an amp

The amp needs to push 150W x 2 RMS @ 4ohms for my components. I have no clue which company has better SQ than another, and everyone has good and bad things to say about every brand from what I've read on several forums.
 

GM TURBO

Sell Out
Re: Suggest an amp

:)

There is a lot of personal preference when it comes to audio. Your best bet is to go to an audio store and see what sounds best with your current config. I would recommend buying from a local shop instead of purchasing online. You might spend a bit more - but you have to make the decision on what sounds best.
 

93ty475

Donating Member
Re: Suggest an amp

SyTyJedi said:
The amp needs to push 150W x 2 RMS @ 4ohms for my components. I have no clue which company has better SQ than another, and everyone has good and bad things to say about every brand from what I've read on several forums.

just in case you ever expect to compete in the future, I spoke with the man that did my stereo upgrade and asked him about a possible 150x2, 4 ohms, spl suitable amp to consider ....he disagreed with me that any harrison labs unit wouldn't do well for you since they don't offer a 300 watt unit....harrison is 400, 800 and 1600 IIRC....he recommended "American Bass" and "MMATS" brands off the top of his head....supposedly both brands offer 300 watt units....he also said that at 2 ohms you could get 600w out of a 300w and 1 ohm you would have 600w and so on....forgive me for not knowing any better but do check on those two brands for the hell of it....he knows his stuff from what I can tell.....he also said that alot of the people that win (competitors) actually cheat with relays and such.....the 400 w harrison I use is compact and geared for sound quality and not competition......no fan and it doesnt use much juice when the truck is off.... thought I'd jot this down while it was still fresh.... :)

edited ^
 

Spinall4

New member
Re: Suggest an amp

Sound quality amps, and SPL competion amps are two different beasts.

I don't like american bass, but MMATTS makes nice stuff. I do not belive SPL competion material is what this guy is looking for.

Also, there are NO amps that make 300 watts at 4 ohms, and jump up to 600 watts at 2 ohms. This is impossible, beacuse that would mean the amp is 100% efficent, and there are NO amp's in the world that are 100%. NONE. If any one tries to claim this of an amp, they're talking out their ass. If you see any amps to claim this sort of rating, you'll know they're full of shit.

Here is what you're looking for in a good component amp.

High Signal to noise ratio (S/N ratio) anything over 95 db is considered pretty good, anything over 105 db great. I personaly run a PG ti amp that boasts a S/N ratio of 115 db. This helps keep the noise floor low in your system (ie the hiss sound you hear in the background when theres a quite spot in the muisic).

Low Total Harmonic Distortion (THD). The lower this number the better. anything under say .05 is the norm for a good amp. I've seen crap sub amps post ratings of 2.0 % thats 40 times more distoriton. You'll want to keep this as low as possible, and add as few componets to the audio path as you can, every one thats active usualy adds some amount of distortion.

An RMS rating of at least what your speakers are rated for, if not more. people seem to think that if they have a 500 watt sub, and run it off a 200 watt amp the sub will never blow. This is total bs, beacuse I see more subs fried this way than all others combined. Most people turn their gains up way to high, trying to get too much power out of an amp, and smoke the sub from clipping the hell out of the signal.

You'll want good 12, 18, or 24 db/octave crossovers beacuse this lets you filter the low low bass from your midrange so it can handle more power. The higher the number, the steeper the slope of the cross over. This lets you filter out all the low bass, with out messing with your mid bass at all.

JL makes some really really good amps these days. Expensive, but good. I've never heard bad about them other than the cost. All of the brands I listed above, have been used in show winning SQ cars. In car audio, you'll find that once you pass a certain price point there is little differnce in all the good brands, and it comes down to the smaller features, and which ones are the most asteticly pleasing to you. I personly LOVE my PG titanium 400.2. Everything about it is tits except for one gripe. The Fan is on 100% of the time, and with the car off and seats folded down sometimes I could hear the fan on a really quite song.

Just noticed that JL's 300/2 woudl be perfect for your setup. 150wrms per channel (rated, actual will be higher).
 

RickMassey

learning before buying
Re: Suggest an amp

Stay away from PG xenons...

we went thru 6 of those in our sound room... not from playing hard, but jsut from sitting there idle.

I'm personally a huge fan of JBL. Their amps sound very transparent but have just a hint of warmth to them I never hear anywhere else. Other than JBL, ALPINE, JL Audio, and JL Audio's "entry brand" Total are also very good. The PG titaniums are also very very good amps IF you can find them.
 

SyTyJedi

Jedi Council
Re: Suggest an amp

I finally made a decision. I went with this amp:

DSCF0134.jpg


The ED NINe.2

100 x 2 @ 4 ohms @ 12 volts. With the juice from the truck, should be right at the amount of power I need.

Thanks all for the replies/good info.
 
Top