??'s about stereo installs...

Makaveli

New member
I just got the Q-logic kick panels along with some Kenwood Type R (which means they're faster) 5 1/4 component speakers w/1' tweets & infinity 6x9's. ::thumbsup::

Anyone ever use the Q's? hows the imaging?? I've never actually sat in a truck that had them, but they've been around for a while & the stock speaker location/sound is shit.

I've also got a Pioneer Premier with 45x4... will the components sound way better amped?? I've never amped front speakers... :oops:

This shit better sound great... My bill with crutchfield was about 6 benjamins. :eek:
 

1quikAWD

New member
Re: ??'s about stereo installs...

Makaveli said:
Anyone ever use the Q's? hows the imaging?? I've never actually sat in a truck that had them, but they've been around for a while & the stock speaker location/sound is shizzle.

I've also got a Pioneer Premier with 45x4... will the components sound way better amped?? I've never amped front speakers.

The Q's sound good in the front. I have done quite a few sets on S-10's and they work great. I always try to run any speakers on an amp, They just sound better.

BTW, I am speaking from experience if your wondering, I worked installing for 2 1/2 years in Hawaii(MECP Certified Installer)

John
 

Makaveli

New member
I used to live on the island of doyawannalayme... beautiful spot...

This is probably a dumb question, but Im going to ask it anyways!

I've got a 2 channel JBL amp thats rated I think at about 280 watts. (it's a few years old but just won't die)

Can I power all 4 (6 including tweeters) with that?? I figure if I just double up the wires that come out of the amp, I can hook everything up, and cut the power by 50% into each one...

To me that works, but, in the real world, is that sensible, or ludicrous?? If that doesn't work I'll swap out the 4-channel Pioneer by mom has in her truck... she won't know the difference!!
 

MyTyphoon1993

Active member
First look at how many ohms the speakers you have run at, then look at the amp and see what ohm it gives the most power at. Then when you have both (if it can work) wire the speakers up and connected them and see if the amp gives them enough power.
 

InvisiBill

Active member
Yeah, you have to look at the ohm ratings of everything... If you run the speakers in series (- on first speaker to amp, + on first speaker to - on second speaker, + on second speaker to amp), you add the ohms. Most car speakers are 4ohms, so you'd be running 8ohms per channel. The amp is probably rated at 4ohms. With twice the resistance, you'd be putting out half the power. 280W is probably peak of both channels combined. RMS (constant) power is generally about half of that, so you're looking at 70W RMS per channel at 4ohms, so 35W per channel at 8ohms. That would be 17.5W per speaker. Your amp is only putting out half of its rated power, so it will run very cool.

If you parallel the speakers (both + and both - on the speakers go to + and - on the amp), the formula is 1/A + 1/B = 1/x. A and B are the ohms of each speaker, and x is the overall resistance. 1/4 + 1/4 = 1/2, so the total load would be 2ohms. Half the resistance, so you'd be getting 140W RMS per channel, or 70W per speaker. Your amp would be putting out twice as much as rated. Most can handle 2ohms/channel, but some can't. Even if it can handle it, it will get hot. It may have problems or go into thermal shutdown (if it has it) if you don't have a fan or something on it. Been there, done that.

If the tweets and mids are a set, they're often 4ohms as a set. If you bought them separate, each one might be 4ohms, and you'll have to take that into consideration for figuring stuff out.

They had a display up at Circuit City here. It was really just to get you to spend more money, but it did make a good point. Even if you have a high-end deck, the "amplifier" in it is still just a little IC amplifying the signal. Go look at a separate 50x4 amp and tell me that a single chip in your deck can do it just as well as all the stuff in the amp.

Also, if you run front and rear speakers off the same channel, you won't have any front/rear fader control. You'll basically have 4 front speakers or 4 rear speakers, depending on where you get the signal for the amp.
 
Top