runs great up to 100mph then cuts out?????

MrNurse

i'm no homo
k&n air filter and no muffler( exhaust exits out rear) pulls great up to about 100 mph then cut out........any ideas?
 

Captain Morgan

Moderated User
Re: runs great up to 100mph then cuts out?????

yeah, odds are youre overboosting

does the check engine light come on for about 5 seconds?
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: runs great up to 100mph then cuts out?????

MrNurse said:
k&n air filter and no muffler( exhaust exits out rear) pulls great up to about 100 mph then cut out........any ideas?

Are you in 3rd gear when it does this, ie are the RPM up around 4800 rpm when this happens? If so your truck is hitting the rev limiter, you need to go into 4th (OD) past 100mph. I have found some truck need to be brought to 3rd gear and manually shifted inot OD for the 3-4 shift to happen.
 

bdydrpds10

Yes I drive a Typhoon.
Re: runs great up to 100mph then cuts out?????

Same thing happened to me yesterday when I ran datamaster
At about 100 - 101 it felt like the governor kicked in.
I looked at the DM and saw it was just alot of spark retard.
 

MrNurse

i'm no homo
Re: runs great up to 100mph then cuts out?????

uh, I was in "D" so maybe that is what happened. also I don't have aftermarket guages so i am reading the stock boost guage. when I am really in it the needle spikes past the "15" then bounces between the middle 10lb to 15lb marks, more like it is reading between 12.5 and 15. also that long and skinny intake plumbing what can I do to improve that? and "hard wire" the intercooler pump. how do I do that?
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: runs great up to 100mph then cuts out?????

The factory boost gauage can be inaccurate. My Sy would peg the gauge (well past the 15psi mark) and I got nervous, but when got a boost guage on it was 14-15 psi. My old Ty would never get past 12-13 psi per the factory gauge and on diacom it was 14-15 psi.
 

blk00z28

Forced to by choice
Re: runs great up to 100mph then cuts out?????

MrNurse said:
uh, I was in "D" so maybe that is what happened. also I don't have aftermarket guages so i am reading the stock boost guage. when I am really in it the needle spikes past the "15" then bounces between the middle 10lb to 15lb marks, more like it is reading between 12.5 and 15. also that long and skinny intake plumbing what can I do to improve that? and "hard wire" the intercooler pump. how do I do that?

What dave said about the boost gauge.

everything else;
 
Last edited:
Re: runs great up to 100mph then cuts out?????

MrNurse said:
uh, I was in "D" so maybe that is what happened. also I don't have aftermarket guages so i am reading the stock boost guage. when I am really in it the needle spikes past the "15" then bounces between the middle 10lb to 15lb marks, more like it is reading between 12.5 and 15. also that long and skinny intake plumbing what can I do to improve that? and "hard wire" the intercooler pump. how do I do that?

http://www.sytyarchives.com/howto/ may have some stuff.
 

JustBeachin

Plays well with others
Re: runs great up to 100mph then cuts out?????

Are you running a stock fuel pump? When was the last time you changed the fuel filter.

Before I first changed my fuel pump I could feel it stumble at the big end of the drag strip. After I changed it, that problem went away.

Also, another friend had stumbling at about 25-30. He took it to the Stealership, and he lucked out. The guy who worked on it owns a Sy and a Ty, so he figured out it was a very clogged fuel filter.
 

MrNurse

i'm no homo
Re: runs great up to 100mph then cuts out?????

I just replaced the fuel filter two days ago, no difference noted though. blew through the old one and there was no resistance really. I am gonna get some guages in there fuel pressure, boost and trans temp. I am thinking the clicking noise i am hearing is the from halfshafts. they are pretty cheap at autozone, like 89 bucks a side so I am gonna go ahead and replace them. I start working again on Monday.......been out of work for about a month so cash I have had to conserve the cash....the trip to vegas didnt help any either.....
 
Top