My SyTy Garage

--SyTy Jim--

GAST Member
Re: My SyTy Garage

Ok, I had uninsulated metal garage doors and my Master bedroom is directly above the garage. This winter was a bit chilly and definitely felt it. When you were to walk from the hallway into my bedroom, you can feel the cooler temp hit your face. I searched the net to see how I could insulate the doors without breaking the bank.

I came up with this: EcoFoil Double Bubble Foil Insulation...www.BuyFoilInsulation.com It has reflective foil on the inside (side facing outside of the garage) and white foil on the outside(side facing inside garage). This material is the same as Reflectix Foil Insulation that you can find at Lowe's, HD, etc. It is suppose to keep the heat out in the summer and keep the cold out in the winter....we shall see.

Some pics:

First I added some Styrofoam strips to help hold up the foil. Made 2 layers of 3/4" styro to equal roughly the depth of the opening of the door to the rail.

INSULATE-1.jpg


INSULATE-2.jpg


Added some regular insulation to the outside edges of the door to seal it.

INSULATE-3.jpg



I decided to adhere the foil to the outside of the door, rather than 'tuck' it in the door opening. I used Foamboard adhesive. I started out using Liquid Nails, but it actually started eating away at the styrofoam. :oops: The streaks are from the flash of the camera.

INSULATE-4.jpg


All finished. Took me about 3 hours. I wasn't reallty in any rush and also had to go out and get some more foamboard adhesive.

INSULATE-5.jpg


Overall I am happy how it turned out. I hope that it does help keep it cooler in here this summer and warmer in the winter. Later this week, I'll do the other garage door. Pics to follow.
Jimmy
 

SEL777

One of 101
Re: My SyTy Garage

I have two of these door openers in my place. I planned to have the Wayne Dolton ones installed, but the day before closing the installer called and said I can't do those for you as there have been many complaints about the circuit boards/electrical issues, but I have a jack shaft model that'll do the same thing..not giving you a center rail for the ceiling. He tried to sell me those in the first place, so I figured he was just trying to give me some line. I scrambeled for other WD installers and found one who said " I can sell you two, but I can't install or warrenty them". I asked, why , and he said the same thing about the circuit boards. Long story long, I'm glad these are in my garage, they are super fast, and super quite. The only things I don't like is the fact that you can't keep the garage lights on (I only have two others), and the lighted wall mount display attracts little bugs that somehow crawl inside there to die. BTW your garage is a nice show piece as well.
 

--SyTy Jim--

GAST Member
Re: My SyTy Garage

I have two of these door openers in my place. I planned to have the Wayne Dolton ones installed, but the day before closing the installer called and said I can't do those for you as there have been many complaints about the circuit boards/electrical issues, but I have a jack shaft model that'll do the same thing..not giving you a center rail for the ceiling. He tried to sell me those in the first place, so I figured he was just trying to give me some line. I scrambeled for other WD installers and found one who said " I can sell you two, but I can't install or warrenty them". I asked, why , and he said the same thing about the circuit boards. Long story long, I'm glad these are in my garage, they are super fast, and super quite. The only things I don't like is the fact that you can't keep the garage lights on (I only have two others), and the lighted wall mount display attracts little bugs that somehow crawl inside there to die. BTW your garage is a nice show piece as well.
+

Thanks! :tup:

Yeah, these openers are great....so far!

Jimmy
 
Re: My SyTy Garage

I bought them from a fellow board member, Ian (SyTArchives) back in 2003.

Not sure if he still has them available.

Jimmy

dang those are sweet everytime i see it i want one for my garage

i wonder if you scanned them maybe they could be copied
 
Top