Is there any way to drop the oHm read on a fuel gauge?

I was wondering if there was anything I could stick INLINE from the fuel sender to the fuel gauge to drop the oHm reading. My aftermarket fuel gauge shows Empty as just under 1/2 tank on the gauge and Full as WAY past the F on the gauge. I am using an Autometer Ultralite GM gauge and the stock fuel pump and sender from a 97 4.3 V6 S10. Any and all help would be Greatly appriciated.

Thanks
Will
 

leroy

Donating Member
I'm not that familiar with the fuel gauge circuit, but I think you could get a potentiometer from Radio Shack and put it inline. Adjust as needed.

For a more permanent solution, measure the resistance of the potentiometer after you have it adjusted and then substitute a suitable resistor.

HTH,
Jim
 

myclone

Donating Member
leroy said:
I'm not that familiar with the fuel gauge circuit, but I think you could get a potentiometer from Radio Shack and put it inline. Adjust as needed.

For a more permanent solution, measure the resistance of the potentiometer after you have it adjusted and then substitute a suitable resistor.

HTH,
Jim

Agreed.... Should work fine once you get it calibrated (ie: 1/2 tank of gas=half way on the guage).
 

Daryl H

Donating Member
First check the signal from the tank.
GM senders should be from 0 to 90 ohms,
empty to full.

Double check to see if you have a GM style.
 
Top