How do you take off the shift knob?

AlaskaTy

New member
I just bought a new shift knob and was about to swap out the old one, but I have no idea how to get it off...anybody out there know?
 

Captain Morgan

Moderated User
you have to carefully pry the button out with a flat screwdriver. basically there is 2 metal tabs that slide down on either side of the flat bar thats in there, which keeps it locked.

Once the button is out, you need a pair of snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring which holds the knob in place. Then you can pull the knob off.
 

AlaskaTy

New member
NJTy180 said:
Once the button is out, you need a pair of snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring which holds the knob in place. Then you can pull the knob off.
What are snap ring pliers?
 

AlaskaTy

New member
Is there anyway to buff out small scratches on plastic? I'm not to worried about the shift button, but I could make it look better considering I have a new knob that'd be cool.

album_pic.php


(it looks like someone took a butter knife to it)
 

imported_ty1724

New member
go to a hobby shop and pick up a pollishing kit i got one for like 12 bucks whent from 3000 grit cloth to 12000 after you get to 12000 use a wax and it will look like a little hunk of black glass
 

AlaskaTy

New member
Thanks guys. I polished it up and with the new shift knob and polished button the shifter looks WAY better (the previous owner shredded the shift knob somehow...musta let his girlfriend drive or something :wink:
 

SYO237

SyTy Registry
AlaskaTy said:
Thanks guys. I polished it up and with the new shift knob and polished button the shifter looks WAY better (the previous owner shredded the shift knob somehow...musta let his girlfriend drive or something :wink:


use caution if you were rings or jewelry on your right hand... if your like me and like to hold the shifter while driving, its easy to cut the knob and button up.
 

AlaskaTy

New member
No rings here...seriously though it was as if Mr. T was the previous owner...big strips of leather are ripped off my old knob!
 

imported_ty1724

New member
maybe some one tryed to pull off the center console and the plastic cut up the knob i know this can happen it did to me when my truck got broke into about a year ago
 
Top