Gear to gear timing sets

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD
Couple questions about these. First, do they work well? How accurate are they and for how long? Are the noisy ones a bad idea? Any input is appreciated.
 

sean

Member
Re: Gear to gear timing sets

TYTILIDIE said:
Couple questions about these. First, do they work well? How accurate are they and for how long? Are the noisy ones a bad idea? Any input is appreciated.
i heard that they cause false knock
 

critical

meltdown
Re: Gear to gear timing sets

Yeah, I believe they would cause false signals.
The harmonics caused by the geardrives would constantly be picked up by the knock sensor and retard the timing.
My friend did this to his 78 blazer w/ a 350 TBI cop motor, and swears it doesnt run like it should.
I told him so.
 

James Thomas

"NO CLASS"
Re: Gear to gear timing sets

TYTILIDIE said:
Couple questions about these. First, do they work well? How accurate are they and for how long? Are the noisy ones a bad idea? Any input is appreciated.


DON'T AND I REPEAT, DON'T DO IT! OK now that I got your attention, the good part is they are very accurate and will do a good job on any engine relibility wise. The bad news is that gear drive dynamics and harmonics will about 95% of the time create false knock or Resonant Echo. I have tried several different mfg's and the "quiet type" also, all with bad results on the 4.3, 5.0, 5.7 & 6.2L engines. You will do very well on a non - knock sensor engine and if you like the sound (quite loud) go with the standard drive. I wanted to build a Pro Street 4.3 so bad several years ago I went through 5 different drives trying to find one that would work with no luck so I just rely on the sound from the roots blower for that " Christ, what's that thing got in it?" effect :lol: .
_________________________
James Thomas
 
Top