Crazy air filter idea----What do you think?

randy merritt

Donating Member
After installing my mechanical fan, I have been sweating over the hot air that is blowing directly on my air filter/cobra elbow. I was thinking that I needed something to shield the air filter from the hot air blowing off the radiator fan.

Here is the setup that was causing me worry:



I briefly entertained the idea of fabbing up some sort of custom metal air box, but then I saw this little jewel sitting on the workbench:



I bought a new filter that is 6" long, and conical in shape. It is 6" on the big end, and 4" on the small end. The coffee can is right at 6" in diameter. A little cutting later:



Then painted and installed. My question is do you think this will flow enough air?


 

Norm

Donating Member
Re: Crazy air filter idea----What do you think?

Actually a pretty cool back yard idea.
 

Black Knight

I Glow Therefore I am
Re: Crazy air filter idea----What do you think?

I have a feeling the IAT's are not going to be much different with or without it.
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: Crazy air filter idea----What do you think?

I have a feeling the IAT's are not going to be much different with or without it.

I will find out. I have the Holley HP that automatically data logs all sorts of things, IAT being on of them. I will post my pre and post coffee can results.
 

NOJIMMY

New member
Re: Crazy air filter idea----What do you think?

...Not being a smartazz or anything, but it would seem to me that a turbo blanket would cure yer problem.
Restricting the air intake + adding a metal heat sink (Im assuming its metal and not plastic which will melt)
doesnt strike me as being a solution. But Ive been wrong (many times) before <grin>....

-Larry
 

Jimmy

Banned
Re: Crazy air filter idea----What do you think?

Cold air doesn't really matter if you're pumping hot water through your IC. I'd want a decent aux IC and pump as my first option.
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: Crazy air filter idea----What do you think?

Cold air doesn't really matter if you're pumping hot water through your IC. I'd want a decent aux IC and pump as my first option.

Mine is ATA.

...Not being a smartazz or anything, but it would seem to me that a turbo blanket would cure yer problem.
Restricting the air intake + adding a metal heat sink (Im assuming its metal and not plastic which will melt)
doesnt strike me as being a solution. But Ive been wrong (many times) before <grin>....

-Larry

I have a turbo blanket.
 

Jimmy

Banned
Re: Crazy air filter idea----What do you think?

Mine is ATA.

...Not being a smartazz or anything, but it would seem to me that a turbo blanket would cure yer problem.
Restricting the air intake + adding a metal heat sink (Im assuming its metal and not plastic which will melt)
doesnt strike me as being a solution. But Ive been wrong (many times) before <grin>....

-Larry

I have a turbo blanket.
I know nothing about ATA.
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: Crazy air filter idea----What do you think?

Well, I just looked at an older data log and one I just did, and it appears as if the coffee can made no difference in my IAT's. They both start a little above 100 degrees and then settle in to the mid 80's after the meth kicks in. Oh well, it was worth a shot. I will now be removing the coffee can. Thanks for watching.
 

Black Knight

I Glow Therefore I am
Re: Crazy air filter idea----What do you think?

Well, I just looked at an older data log and one I just did, and it appears as if the coffee can made no difference in my IAT's. They both start a little above 100 degrees and then settle in to the mid 80's after the meth kicks in. Oh well, it was worth a shot. I will now be removing the coffee can. Thanks for watching.

A for effort though :tup:

And thank you for posting results so we all can learn from it.

I think the problem is going to be the air needs pulled from outside of the engine bay where it's not already super heated, even then I bet the difference you see will be very minimal. The unfortunate part is that this is so difficult with the layout of our trucks.
 

It's just a six

Super Member
Re: Crazy air filter idea----What do you think?

Good effort.:tup:

Here is what I did, took a little more effort though.

Ram air box. Feeds cool air through the fender then the air goes up to the filter.





Oversized ATR type air box w/6" (OD) velocity stack inside.





Just for comparison ATR in black , gold one I made.



ATR K&N filter 3" inlet compared to the 6" inlet K&N filter.

 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: Crazy air filter idea----What do you think?

After really looking and thinking this thing over, it seems that the only real cold air intake is the stock setup. It has passages that allow the incoming air to come from the outside through these closed passages.

Gary down in Miami has a neat "ram air" intake setup, but it involved fender modifications.
 

Aeroking

e.i.
Re: Crazy air filter idea----What do you think?

my enginebay has always been really hot. I made this ram air box, and there is definitely a difference in air temperatures. After a long drive, the air filter is cool to the touch, and the engine is scalding hot. When I race, I take the filter off, and run a turbo bell.

060214-02a_zps2890109b.jpg
 

It's just a six

Super Member
Re: Crazy air filter idea----What do you think?

After really looking and thinking this thing over, it seems that the only real cold air intake is the stock setup. It has passages that allow the incoming air to come from the outside through these closed passages.

Gary down in Miami has a neat "ram air" intake setup, but it involved fender modifications.

The factory fender has passages to feed air up to the ATR air box location, you just need to seal off a few lightening holes to make it more efficient, not hard at all.



my enginebay has always been really hot. I made this ram air box, and there is definitely a difference in air temperatures. After a long drive, the air filter is cool to the touch, and the engine is scalding hot. When I race, I take the filter off, and run a turbo bell.

060214-02a_zps2890109b.jpg

Nice box.

Just curious if you have run it w/a filter w/out a filter back to back comparisons?

Just by looking at your pic, the filter appears to be small. What size is the filter?

Forming a teardrop on the air box to clear the radiator cap would have been perfect.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i...elbeater_sandbag_demo%2Fphoto_12.html;799;499
 
Last edited:

Aeroking

e.i.
Re: Crazy air filter idea----What do you think?

filter is 6x6 if I remember. I only run 10psi with the filter on, so its not moving a ton of air.
 

Damian

Member
Re: Crazy air filter idea----What do you think?

That's a nice and super simple setup. Too bad you're not using the stock sized radiator.
 
Top