Are clones a big problem these days?

I've only been in the SyTy world a few months, but it seems like everyone that see's my Ty wants to know if its real. WTF? :squint: It's pretty much bone stock, and expecially on the outside.

People throw SS emblems on every 1st gen Camaro and Chevelle and it's assumed its real, but cloning a SyTy seems pretty difficult to me. Was this an on going problem at some point like in the mid 90's? Does anybody else have people ask if their truck is real? It's getting real f'ing annoying having to "prove" its real. :rant:
 

Flyin Ryan

hated cuz he drives fords
Re: Are clones a big problem these days?

These are rare vehicles... so most prob can't believe they finally see one in person and being driven.. or they know what they are and prob figure it's fake since it's not on jack stands lol
 

phoonTy

Truckless. For now.
Re: Are clones a big problem these days?

I think part of the issue is, they are so rare, that people don't believe it can be the real thing. That, and people really don't know what they are to begin with, so they wouldn't know a real one from a clone, even if they ask.
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Are clones a big problem these days?

I wouldn't think right now it wouldn't be common to do a clone, SyTy's can be had for the priced it would cost to clone one nowadays and its been pretty cost ineffective for 5 years now or so. Most people probably run when they see how much the cladding runs. In the mid to late 90's when Ty were running $20K+, I am sure t would be very tempting to piece one together.

BTW I have been asked once if my Sy is a clone.
 

blk00z28

Forced to by choice
Re: Are clones a big problem these days?

Flyin Ryan said:
or they know what they are and prob figure it's fake since it's not on jack stands lol
rotf.gif

But that would only be the people that own one.
icon_wink.gif
 

bdydrpds10

Yes I drive a Typhoon.
Re: Are clones a big problem these days?

I remember the 1st time a guy pulled up next to me at a light and said" Is that thing a real one"

I just smiled and said, Yep.

Then he said show me.

So I boost launched it and pulled about 4 cars on him and he gave me a thumbs up!:tup:
 

SYO237

SyTy Registry
Re: Are clones a big problem these days?

always been a common question for owners.

I got asked more in the Royal Blue Ty than the Sy. People used to tell me Tys only came in black or white and that mine was a fake. I also enjoy when someone lectures me on what SyTys are and their performance levels and what they came with..... because after almost 10 years owning one, I still have no clue if I have a 3.8 or a 4.3 and need someone who has never owned one to tell me
icon_rolleyes.gif
 

JSM

Active member
Re: Are clones a big problem these days?

SYO237 said:
always been a common question for owners.

I got asked more in the Royal Blue Ty than the Sy. People used to tell me Tys only came in black or white and that mine was a fake. I also enjoy when someone lectures me on what SyTys are and their performance levels and what they came with..... because after almost 10 years owning one, I still have no clue if I have a 3.8 or a 4.3 and need someone who has never owned one to tell me
icon_rolleyes.gif

At one time that got me also, now I enjoy it when someone does and just add to the story.

"Well mine was a special prototype they did with a V8. Those are factory turbos, bone stock. My dad ordered it this way new...." Whatever comes to mind and fits in with the story

The best time was when Jeremy was with me at the welding store, and the guy was telling me how his GN was so fast it would crack the windshield when he would take off.
 

MySaudi

New member
Re: Are clones a big problem these days?

When I first got my SY. and the next weekend i was driving it, stoped at a red light had a guy come up and pull next to me. asked me if it was real. i said Yep, asks me if its fast.. i was like mm its pretty fast. then offered me 12k for it :lol: i was like sorry, i just got it like last weekend.
 

Aeroking

e.i.
Re: Are clones a big problem these days?

lol, i have people ask if its real all the time. one time a guy said "yeah i wanna supe my S10 up just like this guy did." its hard to tell them straight when your laughin so hard. another time at a show, some kid (ricer kid), asked me who make my upper plenum. I had to tell him it was factory, he kept saying "no, no, i remeber seeing this in a APC catalog" until i showed the PAS stamp.

i show mine more that race it, and i usually show with the hood down. I get TOLD, not asked that its a Grand National 3.8. So i let them talk, then pop the hood. :lol:

the look one someone's face when it hits them "I am such an idiot". :rotf: :rotf:
 

KFC_Or_Bust

New member
Re: Are clones a big problem these days?

I love when people argue that it's a "Grand National engine", I even had some dildo in a DSM tell me he knows they came with a Grand National engine in it because his uncle had one in the 80's. Then I told him I have a Typhoon engine in my Bravada and his whole shit changes and he says his uncle must've lied to him.

Another kid doubted I even had a turbo, even AFTER I popped the hood and pointed it out to him, he asked if it was a supercharger and I pretty much stopped explaining after that. Then he asked how much hp I had and I said roughly 350ish and he said "Yeah 350 at the alternator!" I gave him the :/ face and told the noob I had better places to be. Needless to say even with it running like shit I kicked it nice and sideways for him just to let him know his stock 350 3rd gen has NO chance. :)
 

Flyin Ryan

hated cuz he drives fords
Re: Are clones a big problem these days?

i've always been told that my truck was that one with the corvette motor in it.. or hey nice old skool extreme but why put corvette wheels on an extreme???
 

Bill Z

Donating Member
Re: Are clones a big problem these days?

I have the other side of these stories. Twice, I go to a GMC dealership to get something. Some used car salesman stops me and wants to sell me a car. I ask how long has he been selling GMCs. He tells me the salesman truth ‘More than 15 years. I know all about GMCs.’ I ask him if he knows anything about my truck. He stops and stammers something like ‘Its an Xtreame. First generation.’ Well, something like that.

I just smile and walk away.

I did have one sales manager walk by and do a double take. I figure he knew.

To keep t his in the thread title, I don' still see many Ty clones. I don't see many real Tys except when we decide to get to gather.
 

poorboy93

Veteran S10 Owner
Re: Are clones a big problem these days?

SYO237 said:
always been a common question for owners.

I got asked more in the Royal Blue Ty than the Sy. People used to tell me Tys only came in black or white and that mine was a fake. I also enjoy when someone lectures me on what SyTys are and their performance levels and what they came with..... because after almost 10 years owning one, I still have no clue if I have a 3.8 or a 4.3 and need someone who has never owned one to tell me
icon_rolleyes.gif



LOL! It has the supercharged V8 and its a lowered Blazer!

Besides the common stupid comments and questions from people, I had someone ask me how I'd lower a 4x4 and not spend money on motor mods. I told him the shocks were shot and it's already fast because it has a K&N......then I left......very quickly :lol:
 

SYO237

SyTy Registry
Re: Are clones a big problem these days?

since running with an open DP and 52 turbo, people swear up and down I have a supercharged V8 and call BS when I tell them truthfully it is a v6 with a slightly bigger turbo.
icon_rolleyes.gif
 
Re: Are clones a big problem these days?

Well it looks like I have lots to look foward to when it comes to owning one of these. Not to profile, but it seems white males in thier mid 30's seem to know what it is. :) So I guess you're not going to get laid driving one of these things, unless that's what you're into. :lol:
 

poorboy93

Veteran S10 Owner
Re: Are clones a big problem these days?

vanillagorilla said:
Well it looks like I have lots to look foward to when it comes to owning one of these. Not to profile, but it seems white males in thier mid 30's seem to know what it is. :) So I guess you're not going to get laid driving one of these things, unless that's what you're into. :lol:


I'm two years older than you, and well, lets just say it's very possible and has been done :lol:


SYO237 said:
since running with an open DP and 52 turbo, people swear up and down I have a supercharged V8 and call BS when I tell them truthfully it is a v6 with a slightly bigger turbo.
icon_rolleyes.gif

:lol: It's great to see the dumb founded look on their faces when you tell them to count the plug wires!! try it sometime! ;)
 
Re: Are clones a big problem these days?

poorboy93 said:
I'm two years older than you, and well, lets just say it's very possible and has been done :lol:

:squint: Hopefully not with a dude in his mid 30's. :rotf:

I have gotten the GN 3.8 response and when I pop the hood and they see the IC and distributor they get a funny look on their face.
 

SY2932

Administrator
Re: Are clones a big problem these days?

Must be a typhoon thing since I hear more about ty owners getting asked if it's real or not more often than syclone owners do. I have had my truck for over eight years and have never been asked if it was real or not. And I am a regular at the local cruise ins. The best one that I heard was when FL member Gary S. took his sy in for some warranty work and the service guy told him that his warrany was voided because he "installed a turbo" on his truck
icon_lol.gif
.
 
Top