3200 stall, is it to much?

elec87

New member
Okay guys, I just got a syclone to add to the stable. I am wanting this thing to do some 13.5 quarters while remaining fairly stock.
I just happen to have a 3200 stall That I used in my 87 for a while, Will this unit work well in the truck or should I look for a smaller unit. The truck so far has run a best of 14.7 (ewwww) It's a (continental). I just am wondering if this is too high in the power band for this truck. Also can you explain to me why you would lock the converter up while running down the track?
Thanks for any input guys
Elec
 
Re: 3200 stall, is it to much?

elec87 said:
Okay guys, I just got a syclone to add to the stable. I am wanting this thing to do some 13.5 quarters while remaining fairly stock.
I just happen to have a 3200 stall That I used in my 87 for a while, Will this unit work well in the truck or should I look for a smaller unit. The truck so far has run a best of 14.7 (ewwww) It's a (continental). I just am wondering if this is too high in the power band for this truck. Also can you explain to me why you would lock the converter up while running down the track?
Thanks for any input guys
Elec

If you have only run a 14.7 in your stock SY then you have major issues and the Torque converter isn't one of them. I would suggest doing a major tune up on the entire engine and checking out any inconsistances on what might be causeing you to go so slow. Stock Syclones in good running condidtion go 13's.
 

jwaller

Evil Genius/SyTy Guru
what is a contenential? and locking the converter stops the sliping between the trans and eng giving you a better et and mph. 3200 is fine as long as your truck is designed around it. but not if it's stock. what 87 is it from? do you mean GN? if so it isnt the same.
 

JSM

Active member
Your truck can run 13.5's no problem without a convertor.

It should run 13.5's with a chip and fuel pump with a good tune.

12.5's are doable on stock convertor in fact.

I would only go bigger if you go with bigger turbo, which isn't needed IMO until you want 11's.
 

elec87

New member
I had it in my 87 s-10 355 with a 700r4. The truck has had a good tune up about two weeks ago. Next I am going to pull the manifold as it seems to have a crack near the turbo. The truck feels like it runs strong but some times it is hit or miss. I need to get a real boost gauge in it and run some data logs to see what it is up to.
Elec
 
Top