** UPDATED** Finaly my tranny died

just a 6

R.I.P MyClone
Well finaly my trans died, working fine last night driving home from work. Pull out of garage this morning and i have this wine on idle and getting louder with trans rpm/mph in drive. No wine in reverse??

I have a Hartman rebuild kit with a billet 9/11, just haven't had time to install it and rebuild my trans. I guess i have to do it now :)

Damn, i had dyno day on Dec 6 was going to get some numbers. Well now it's a good time to fix my POS stock fuel lines on top of my trans that been humping my floor board every time after i done a power break. Going with SS lines and -AN fittings.

I know my trans was going sooner or later b/c my overrun seals are gone (no engine breaking) and the band has been worn out.


Pulled trans from truck during last week and torn it apart today. What did i found, overrun assembly broke in two, well the hub broke off the sprag. I been driving with out engine braking for over a year, guess i know why now :)

I have a GM reman trans installed in 98, yes i have checked and it's a Sy trans. I also found that GM did NOT install the big check ball and they did NOT install the 5 load release springs and i already have the thicker 3-4 clutch apply ring.

I have all the parts i need from Hartman so next week i'm staring to clean all the parts so i can start assembly the trans. I'm doing some extra tricks too to make my trans shift harder and last longer.

Can't wait until i get my truck on the road again.

Ps. I also went over my X-case today, split it and checked chain, bearings to check for any wear, none found so i assemblyed it with new seals.
 

Sy769

Donating Member
I need to take a drive up there and see your project.
Oh wait :(
I have a Sy motor to pull and a Ty that has been apart for years.
 

bezerk

New member
This is the first time i read "finally my trans broke" :lol:

Is it hard to rebuild your own trans? do we need special tools?
Really like the Idea of rebuilding your own trans with a Good kit, but can you give me some more info about that, and what would a kit cost?

Thanks and good luck!!
 

just a 6

R.I.P MyClone
Well...............i been working on cars/trucks for 25+ years now, it's not hard for me.

The reason i sad "finally" is because i been driving it half broke for over a year now, not racing it just normal daily driving ones in a while. I have 2 cars so my Sy is not my daily driver all the time.


bezerk said:
This is the first time i read "finally my trans broke" :lol:

Is it hard to rebuild your own trans? do we need special tools?
Really like the Idea of rebuilding your own trans with a Good kit, but can you give me some more info about that, and what would a kit cost?

Thanks and good luck!!
 

bezerk

New member
as i own a workshop, i know how to work on cars, but i never have worked on a transmission before, so with that said i would really like to know if you must be a transmission expert to rebuild a transmission.
 

Lynn D. Brown

New member
Rene,

There are zillions of posts on this, so do a search. I'm sure George Blake will chime in as he's a real guru on this. U will need to get the ASTG manuals and the GM manuals. There are lots of parts kits available or just individual parts.
 
Top