Transmission or torque converter prb, have a few questions...

wexy21

You're Boosted!
On my way to work today my trans started slipping in 3rd and 4th. The only way I could get it to catch was to hit the gas and get it to downshift. It would catch only to slip again right away. At a stop I could manually shift 1st and 2nd but when going into drive it would slip around 40mph. I was able to get up to 60 but not for long.

I guess my trans is toast and will only get worse?

Is there anything I can check or look for before I park this and start taking it apart?

What transmissions could I look for at a junkyard or for sale that would be an easy swap?

Could it just be my torque converter? The trans doesn't leak and the oil looks good, also, the temp gauge I installed shows that it's in normal temp range.

I can take the trans out myself, but have never done that before. If I need it rebuilt, I figured to look for one already complete in my area.
 

Six-is-Enough

Use to do a little Boost
Re: Transmission or torque converter prb, have a few questions...

On my way to work today my trans started slipping in 3rd and 4th. The only way I could get it to catch was to hit the gas and get it to downshift. It would catch only to slip again right away. At a stop I could manually shift 1st and 2nd but when going into drive it would slip around 40mph. I was able to get up to 60 but not for long.

I guess my trans is toast and will only get worse?

Is there anything I can check or look for before I park this and start taking it apart?

What transmissions could I look for at a junkyard or for sale that would be an easy swap?

Could it just be my torque converter? The trans doesn't leak and the oil looks good, also, the temp gauge I installed shows that it's in normal temp range.

I can take the trans out myself, but have never done that before. If I need it rebuilt, I figured to look for one already complete in my area.

Trans is smoked. Not likely to find a junkyard trans that a will work or "b" that would last long enough for the effort to swap it.

Time for a rebuild. I recommend RPM Transmissions http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/. Not to far for ya to drop your truck off. They will yank it out. Rebuild it. Dyno the trans to make sure it is right and stick it back in.:2cents:
 
Top