THEMADTYPH00N
Active member
Ever since I bought my syclone I've been trying to chase down this problem I'm having with it not shifting at WOT. I know from the previous owner the truck has some sort of a Waller trans in it. The parts used I am not quite sure of. Anyway at part throttle, cruise or any other condition other than WOT the trans shifts firmly and to me acts perfectly fine. It also upshifts perfectly fine with the pedal at 3/4 throttle. But when you have it on the floor it just rev's till it runs into the rev limiter. Even while doing a passing maneuver the trans will correctly downshift one gear but then will never upshift. I have had the pan off and changed the fluid, filter and all of that. My first thought after that was that the TV cable was out of adjustment or broken somehow. I replaced the TV cable with a brand new factory one and adjusted it properly. I also did this with the pan off to make sure that the cable fully pulled on the TV valve. I even then switched the factory cable out for a George Blake unit. Still no change. At that point I tried switching the governor out for a known good stock unit that shifted at the stock shift points in another trans. This didnt change anything yet again. A friend then told me that in order for a 700R4 to upshift the governor weights must overcome the TV pressure. So just for the hell of it I took some old governor weights I had laying around and welded pieces of steel on them to make very heavy. (The stock weight where around 10 grams a piece. The ones I put in where around 20 grams.) After doing this the part throttle shifts points seem a little sooner nothing big though. The 2 main things that happen where that the truck shifts into OD very early. Around 35mph where it used to be around 45. And amazingly it did the 1-2 upshift @ WOT!! Only to discover that while it would perform the 1-2 upshift but when it came to the 2-3 upshift @ WOT it didnt shift and hit the rev limiter again. It was then suggested to me that maybe this trans has a very large boost valve in it and is causing the TV pressure to be so high that the governor weights cannot over come it. I took the boost valve out. It was a .520 and changed it to a .500. After all this absolutely nothing changed. Still behaved exactly the same way. This is where I am at now and Ive run out of ideas. Sorry for the long post, I just want to make sure all the info it out there. If anyone has any idea please let me know. Thanks!