Syclone hard shifting transmission

rgsycl

Is it normal for the transmission to shift hard on these trucks? Seems much harder than my S10. My mechanic asked me if the truck had a shift kit on it but I don’t know what the prior owner may have done etc, but he never mentioned that and the service records don’t indicate that. My syclone is a low mileage example and tranny fluid was replaced 2 years ago as part of ongoing maintenance. The truck always seemed to shift hard but lately it seems more noticeable.

Bo Cee

Is it normal for the transmission to shift hard on these trucks? Seems much harder than my S10. My mechanic asked me if the truck had a shift kit on it but I don’t know what the prior owner may have done etc, but he never mentioned that and the service records don’t indicate that. My syclone is a low mileage example and tranny fluid was replaced 2 years ago as part of ongoing maintenance. The truck always seemed to shift hard but lately it seems more noticeable.
Hi. I just bought a Sy and the shift from 1st to 2nd was jarring to say the least. The mechanic fixing my truck pointed to the cables on the front of the throttle body and said he just adjusted them and in no time it's a normal shift again. Sorry, can't get more technical than that but I thought I was going to have to rebuild the tranny and it's day and night. Hope this helps.

rgsycl

Hi. I just bought a Sy and the shift from 1st to 2nd was jarring to say the least. The mechanic fixing my truck pointed to the cables on the front of the throttle body and said he just adjusted them and in no time it's a normal shift again. Sorry, can't get more technical than that but I thought I was going to have to rebuild the tranny and it's day and night. Hope this helps.
Thanks.... I am not a mechanic and did not realize the throttle body was related to the tranny, I thought the throttle body only regulated air going into the manifold. I’ll have him look at those cables for sure. My hard shift is primarily 1st and 2nd also.

Goodgollyjosh

The 1-2 shift is one of the things that is different about these transmissions compared to other 700r4's. They modified the valve body on the Sy/Ty from the factory. I don't recall mine ever being particularly rough on the 1-2 shift, but mine had been modified. Maybe one of the other forum members with more knowledge on the subject can chime in.

DaveP's Ghost

Do not adjust the Throttle Valve cable in an attempt to change shift quality or timing. You can F-up your transmission.

The TV system in the 4L60 (in 1990, the transmission became the 4L60, it was no longer a "700R4") is critical to establishing the correct pressure at the correct throttle setting. It is not a "kick down cable". It is not a "shift adjustment". It controls Line Pressure based on specific throttle opening. If pressure is low, clutches can slip and burn. This transmission has been around for 40 years, and there are still people that don't understand the importance of the TV system. Like the "mechanic" that adjusted the cable to adjust "shift quality".

The really easy way to know if your TV cable setting is correct: Shifter in D4. Leave at light throttle from a dead stop. Let the trans upshift into 2nd. As soon as it shifts, NAIL IT, all the way to the floor. The transmission MUST downshift back into 1st gear. If it does not, the TV cable is not adjusted correctly. FIX IT!

The LHM SyTy transmission has a really harsh 1-2 shift. It's a character of the SyTy.

Goodgollyjosh

I think the factory cables are pretty high quality. I replaced mine for good measure when the trans was out with the only one that I could find available, which was from Sports Machines. It is a reproduction unit, and I did not find the quality to be that great. I'd stick with the OEM cable, unless it is absolutely stretched too far to get the piano wire tight adjustment.

thesyguy

Do not adjust the Throttle Valve cable in an attempt to change shift quality or timing. You can F-up your transmission.

The TV system in the 4L60 (in 1990, the transmission became the 4L60, it was no longer a "700R4") is critical to establishing the correct pressure at the correct throttle setting. It is not a "kick down cable". It is not a "shift adjustment". It controls Line Pressure based on specific throttle opening. If pressure is low, clutches can slip and burn. This transmission has been around for 40 years, and there are still people that don't understand the importance of the TV system. Like the "mechanic" that adjusted the cable to adjust "shift quality".

The really easy way to know if your TV cable setting is correct: Shifter in D4. Leave at light throttle from a dead stop. Let the trans upshift into 2nd. As soon as it shifts, NAIL IT, all the way to the floor. The transmission MUST downshift back into 1st gear. If it does not, the TV cable is not adjusted correctly. FIX IT!

The LHM SyTy transmission has a really harsh 1-2 shift. It's a character of the SyTy.

This is spot on. DO NOT ADJUST THE TV CABLE TO SOFTEN THE SHIFT! It will lead to transmission failure. My tranny shifts hard 1-2 and has since day one. 135k on the stock original transmission and it still shifts hard. Fluid and filter changes only.

Dan B

This is spot on. DO NOT ADJUST THE TV CABLE TO SOFTEN THE SHIFT! It will lead to transmission failure. My tranny shifts hard 1-2 and has since day one. 135k on the stock original transmission and it still shifts hard. Fluid and filter changes only.
What kind of fluid do you use, if you don't mind me asking?

Jay92Ty

Donating Member
I to am having some issues with the shifting. Tranny was fine ( at least I think it was) and was shifting ok. I went to check the oil level ( transmission hot/in Park) and the dip stick oil line was way past the mark. It marked all the way to the 2nd L on the "FULL". WTF??? I then pumped it out to the correct location and now the shifts are really weird. Shifts hard from 1st to 2nd ( most likely normal in these trucks) then takes long to shift to 3rd. I tried what Dave P mentioned...went from a stop, it shifted from 1st to 2nd, punched it, and nothing...just kept going. It didnt down shift at all. So oil level is good, TV cable may need adjusting like the video^^^? Whats weird is that I remember checking the fluid before and it was never that high. Hmmmmm a lil lost here. I'm hoping I didn't F my trans up! I think iy may be time to do an oil change. 28K miles since last done.

Attachments

• IMG_0196.jpg
    IMG_0196.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 4

DaveP's Ghost

Was the engine running when checking in Park? (It must be.)

Get your fluid level sorted before you do anymore WOT testing. These trucks shift so violently that a low level can result in slipping damage.

The TV cable probably needs to go outer-jacket to the right. (Inner cable exposure becomes longer.) Just one click can make a huge difference. Getting the TV correct also affects shift timing and quality. The light shift into 3rd should improve with more TV.

DaveP's Ghost

Just for grins, with the truck in normal attitude (level) remove the T-case FILL plug and see how much comes out. There may be a lot, so put a pan under it just in case there is. If the level is high, the input seal has deteriorated, and ATF from the transmission is migrating into the T-case. I suppose if the T-case is high, over time the fluid may migrate back into the transmission, but I've never seen it go back into the trans. None of this should affect trans behavior unless the trans level is low.

Check the T-case level while you're under there.

Jay92Ty

Donating Member
Replaced all fluids. Trans, case, both diff's,and engine oil. Ran it today with the TV cable adjusted and all is good. shifts right on time and smooth. took off, it hit 2nd, punched it and it downshifted immediately and felt good. THANKS for all the help and advise!. Also smog'ed it today and all is good as well. Overall a very good day!
... Older guy at the smog station says he's been there 30 years and had never seen a Syclone. thought that was kinda cool.