Stock trans starting to slip 2nd to 3rd to overdrive

Troyphoon

New member
As soon as I get my ty running great the damn trans starts to slip! Can anyone chime in and what I should expect to spend?? Anyone know of good rebuilders in the Bay Area???
 

Slyclone

Well-known member
Re: Stock trans starting to slip 2nd to 3rd to overdrive

I just had my transmission redone.

Pro built automatics elite rebuild kit -$1,100
Billet 2800 stall converter -$900
Labor on rebuild -$810
+2qt alum.pan and extras -$+-250
 

Attachments

  • IMAG2354.jpg
    IMAG2354.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG2352.jpg
    IMAG2352.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG2351.jpg
    IMAG2351.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1

SYCLONE#1531

'MOFOFAST
Re: Stock trans starting to slip 2nd to 3rd to overdrive

I built mine with a kit off of ebay for under $300 + a local guy $250 to build/labor.
 

Troyphoon

New member
Re: Stock trans starting to slip 2nd to 3rd to overdrive

I just had my transmission redone.

Pro built automatics elite rebuild kit -$1,100
Billet 2800 stall converter -$900
Labor on rebuild -$810
+2qt alum.pan and extras -$+-250

Damn that's nice! I'm jealous!
 

Troyphoon

New member
Re: Stock trans starting to slip 2nd to 3rd to overdrive

The shops I'm finding don't want to build mine if I'm not using there parts!
 

IGottaSy

Active member
Re: Stock trans starting to slip 2nd to 3rd to overdrive

The shops I'm finding don't want to build mine if I'm not using there parts!

That's the norm. Their parts are not all that bad if your truck is stock(13 sec build). I personally don't like the idea of using red this or blue that for the frictions, for example. Just make sure they upgrade the sunshell at least. Carbon frictions (4L60e) will last a long time. If you send it off to get rebuilt, keep tabs of your unique valve body and governor.
 

SEL777

One of 101
Re: Stock trans starting to slip 2nd to 3rd to overdrive

Some places will build with your parts when you bring them good stuff. Beast sunshell, and as mentioned above be sure they do not touch the valve body or governor. I think mine was 800 for parts 350 for pro rebuild labor. I bought a used 9/11 convertor, and also did a deep pan with drain plug. Love the fact it has the good parts in it, but know it is still the weak link once you start adding power above factory levels.
 

Troyphoon

New member
Re: Stock trans starting to slip 2nd to 3rd to overdrive

Some places will build with your parts when you bring them good stuff. Beast sunshell, and as mentioned above be sure they do not touch the valve body or governor. I think mine was 800 for parts 350 for pro rebuild labor. I bought a used 9/11 convertor, and also did a deep pan with drain plug. Love the fact it has the good parts in it, but know it is still the weak link once you start adding power above factory levels.

I got to speak with the gentleman at pro built automatics looks like I'll be buying on of his kits. Just need to confirm with the builder he will build my trans. I also have a hybrid 9/11 28-3200 I purchased off a member here I'll be adding.
 

SEL777

One of 101
Re: Stock trans starting to slip 2nd to 3rd to overdrive

Don't forget the deep pan, and also add an AUX cooler. Lastly, get a trans temp gauge and watch it closely!!
 

Troyphoon

New member
Re: Stock trans starting to slip 2nd to 3rd to overdrive

Don't forget the deep pan, and also add an AUX cooler. Lastly, get a trans temp gauge and watch it closely!!

Added the deep pan and cooler already I guess it didnt help much. Just curious are you running your cooler in sync with the radiator or solo?
 

Slyclone

Well-known member
Re: Stock trans starting to slip 2nd to 3rd to overdrive

Added the deep pan and cooler already I guess it didnt help much. Just curious are you running your cooler in sync with the radiator or solo?


I spoke to my builder and he said using the rad cooler is a key factor. I told him I was going to bypass it and he said its very important even though its a small pass.

I will be adding a cooler with a fan. $150-160. He had a off the shelf one which had no fan, for same price.
 

Troyphoon

New member
Re: Stock trans starting to slip 2nd to 3rd to overdrive

I spoke to my builder and he said using the rad cooler is a key factor. I told him I was going to bypass it and he said its very important even though its a small pass.

I will be adding a cooler with a fan. $150-160. He had a off the shelf one which had no fan, for same price.

That's exactly what the builder I found told me:tup:
 

wildphil

I Love My Ty's
Re: Stock trans starting to slip 2nd to 3rd to overdrive

I bypassed the radiator trans cooler 8 years ago. I did install a B&M cooler. It doesn't see stop and do driving in traffic. And if I do take it to the track one or two runs is about all it will see. So I doubt if it gets very hot. Hasn't made any difference so far.

If it does go out I can install a 4l80.
 
Last edited:

Troyphoon

New member
Re: Stock trans starting to slip 2nd to 3rd to overdrive

I'm getting really frustrated I can't get in contact with pro built automatics! I really need to get this kit! Anybody know how to get in contact with them????
 
Top