small sputter

TwistedTy

More boost! N.A.S.T.E
when im just cruisin barely applying the pedal at and under 1800rpm im having a small spuuter occasionaly. then once its kinda stumbled a lil hesitated then boosted and ran fine. upgrade the ignition ya think?
 

supersports10

New member
Re: small sputter

TwistedTy said:
when im just cruisin barely applying the pedal at and under 1800rpm im having a small spuuter occasionaly. then once its kinda stumbled a lil hesitated then boosted and ran fine. upgrade the ignition ya think?

when was the last time you did a tune-up??

when was the last time you changed the ignition module in the bottom of the distributor??
 

TwistedTy

More boost! N.A.S.T.E
Re: small sputter

had a full tuned about 800 miles ago, i dunno if the ignition module was changed
 

Mtn Z

Donating Member
Re: small sputter

I have the same sputter with a fresh tuneup right at about the same rpm as you are or right off idle from a stop sometimes. I figure it has to be the module, coil or a vacuum leak from the throttle body shaft. It's always something. :roll:
 

supersports10

New member
Re: small sputter

TwistedTy said:
had a full tuned about 800 miles ago, i dunno if the ignition module was changed

ignition module is cheap insurance it's like 35.00

and 30 min install.

also check the ignition timing.... it should be at 0 , with the brown wire disconnected.
 

TwistedTy

More boost! N.A.S.T.E
Re: small sputter

also noticed at idle a small ocassional miss. still sounds like the ignition module? also would the ignition module from a 92 gmc jimmy or blazer be the same that are on our trucks?
 

12secondSY

Syty Killer :(
Re: small sputter

Mine sputters in a lot of places especially under boost. Everything is new except the coil so that getting replaced soon.
 

Ian Turgeon

Cascading Inspiration
Re: small sputter

I put on JSM's 3" dp last weekend, and I've been noticing the same thing (actually its just worse then it was before) under light throttle and sometimes coming off a stop light. it stumbles for a couple of revolutions before it continues driving fine.

I've been chocking it down to my higher stall converter + open exhaust needing some tuning work.
 

WannabaTY

New member
Re: small sputter

Mine doesnt sputter under boost but it does when I am just cruising.. Kind of anoying. Having a full tune up done in a couple weeks. I hope that fixes it for me.
Don
 

EcSy#2671

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Re: small sputter

Mine does the same thing off the a stop line, I think if is a timing thing or a tune. I will try the module too. I just builded the motor with new plugs and wires.
 

ZavzTy547

Senior Member
Re: small sputter

EcSy#2671 said:
Mine does the same thing off the a stop line, I think if is a timing thing or a tune. I will try the module too. I just builded the motor with new plugs and wires.

All of the above and then some.
It could also be the chip....
My truck occasionally sputters when my STG chip is on a rich setting (t1-17). If I use a lean setting T2-22 it goes away.

If you did a full tuneup and it's still sputtering, try turning down the FP a 1 or 2 psi and see if it goes away or make sure your timing is 0 degrees.
 

Ian Turgeon

Cascading Inspiration
Re: small sputter

Yea, theres 2 different situations here, pop and sputter at wot is very very bad and harmful. The rest of us are talking about an off idle stumble.

I've got my wide band in my new dp, I have to get it hooked up but hopefuly it will help me narrow down my problems.
 

TwistedTy

More boost! N.A.S.T.E
Re: small sputter

your right it is kind of a pop im talkin when im not even in any boost just cruisin very slow at 1800-2000rpm. but @ WOT it pulls great and stops the sputtering. i noticed it barely did it at all today and it was considerably cooler out compared to the last few days. that probably has nothing to do with it though. hmmmmmmm???
 

Ian Turgeon

Cascading Inspiration
Re: small sputter

I finally got the wideband installed. I noticed that when my truck is hesitating off a stop light/sign, the afr is very lean, The gauge is showing 16+ afr at when it hesitates, then as soon as it wakes up the afr is in the 14-15 range usual for cruising. I have more to learn about air fuel ratios, but at least the numbers are corresponding, and likely to be related.
 

Ian Turgeon

Cascading Inspiration
Re: small sputter

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/article.html?&A=1595

An article about tuning afr, if you pay attention to the acceleration section, they describe tuning to the 'flat spot' and I expect this is what I'm experiencing. I think the changes to my converter/exhaust have effected the tune in this range and probably changed my fuel requirements in light acceleration.
 

Ross L

Member
Re: small sputter

With my cars if there's a sputter or miss under normal driving, then no way am I going to go WOT. Usually new plugs(gapped tight), wires, ign module/cap/rotor, and a fuel filter will cure it. Good luck! :2cents:
 
Top