Question about headers?

BPATT

New member
I am ordering headers for my ty today but I am wondering what are the biggest gains for our trucks that we get? I know we get more Hp and power in general. But on the average how much?
 

smeagol

Active member
Are you talking biggest bang for the buck?

If so, headers ain't it. They'll help, but not for the money you spend.

What do you have done to the truck now?
 

BPATT

New member
Cool air kit with K&N 9" cone
Relocated Coolant Overflow tank to where original air box used to be

Intercooler lines replace mod. (hard lines replaced with heater hose)
Thermo-wrapped intercooler *
ATR Aux. Intercooler kit
160 thermostat
Vaccumm lines replaced with Blue Akimoto vacuum lines *

Piggy back chip

Accel Cap, Rotor, Wires

KYB Shocks
Suspension Techniques anti -sway bar

B&M Tranny cooler
B&M Deep Tranny Pan (adds 4 quarts?) *
TRANS rebuilt with trans go shift

ATR Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
255ltr/hour fuel pump *

Lowered via lowering blocks (2")/Torsion Bar

Boost gauge and holder
AT5 850 cfm turbo
ATR Throttle body air-foil
ATR Boost control valve

ATR 3" Cat back exhaust
 

smeagol

Active member
What have you run?

Do you use a scan tool?

Do you increase the boost & run race gas?

I'm convinced that headers will add power to your combo, but are you concerned about budget? I mean are you going to spend that $1000 on the truck no matter what?

Could spend it on an alky kit & better wastegate.

Could spend it on a PTE housing and a better wastegate.

Could spend it on an intercooler.

Could spend it on Datamaster & stall converter.

Could start building that monster motor on a stand.
 

BPATT

New member
I have about 3500 to spend. I have the intercooler. I don't have the scan tool yet but it is the next on the list. I talked to Brian Hartman already about the stall. What is the Alky kit and the Pte housing? I have never ran my truck at the track and all my friends want me too. I street race but that has been it so far. My friends have those eagle talons and mustangs. I have killed all of them so far but never been to the track YET BUT this will be the year. And about the monster motor I would like it but I love wheeeeeelies on the R1 to much. There is nothing like doing 60 and stand it up to over a 100...
 

Pittman

New member
Ive heard the headers dont really do much unless you are in the 11.5 et range. Im odering ATR's, PTE turbo and pipe, ATR cat back end of this month. The prob is I dont really know how limiting the stock headers are!
 

BPATT

New member
A friend of mine has a Sy and he has the same set up as mine. He added the 9/11 and headers and ran 11.7...
 

JoeLutz

New member
Do yourself a favor and get rid of the Accel stuff. Been there done that, it doesn't work well even new. Just an FYI, stock "headers" are generally refered to as exhaust manifolds.
 

smeagol

Active member
I don't know the exact limitations, but I am confident that ATR headers will help even a stock truck. When is it worth it is the key.

Josh Benedict ran the stock turbo with ATR headers at 16psi and hit 106 mph trap speeds. That's the best MPH for that boost level I've heard of on the stock turbo. Daron has hit that or a bit better at 20psi. Dig and others hit 108-110mph with the 20g.

I'm not saying it can't be done elsewhere, but Josh's truck did get some gains out of just the headers. He was waiting on the PTE turbo setup when he did the headers, and wanted to drive the truck, so he put the stocker turbo & dp on it.

I'm sure he can correct me if i had any errors...
 
Top