PTE setup vs External

I know this has probably been talked about a thousand times on here but can someone put my mind at ease. I just bought the PTE52 which has the internal setup on it. I talked to Brian Green and Jerry McCoy and they both told me that the internal setup on the the PTE turbo is great. I currently was running a 20g with a Tial 40mm external gate should I stay internal and run what PTE gives you or should I run the external Tial?

Any help would be great
 

SPiN

Member
From what I have seen the internal setup has worked great. Havent had much experience with Tials other than what I have heard. What are you using for boost control? I you plan on running a version of the ultimate chip, it will control your boost with the internal.

If you use teh external you will have to keep your current setup, or get some other aux controller.

I would say stick with the internal...thats one of the coolest parts about the entire setup!
 

Sy#26

New member
I'm currently checking out the internal WG on the 14cm housing vs. the HKS on the crossover. Actuator is 19-30# unit, 15# in the HKS. Both work equally well, surprisingly, so I'll eliminate the HKS for simplicity's sake. The important thing is just how much gas the WG has to dump - in a high flow turbine, running a big compressor, there's really not that much flow thru the WG. On a stocker w/ a 5# actuator crack pressure, there's a LOT of gas for the WG to dump. From what I've heard, the PT&E WG works great.

FWIW, YMMV, etc

Barry
 

tealty

New member
I dont know....After installing the pte setup on my bro's truck, boost control isnt all that great. Its probably because he doesnt have his exhaust/cat on it yet. Boost control is good, but not like an external gate. But if you already have the external gate, I say use it.
Later
Jordan
 

smeagol

Active member
Do you have the high pressure actuator Jordan?

What kind of problems are you having?
I've seen nothing but GOOD things with the PTE setup.
 

tealty

New member
Yeah he has it from what I understand. From a dead stop...the boost oscillates from 15-18psi. From a wot run at 45mph+, the boost climbs to 20psi. It even has your ultimate 50# programs. Im thinking its b/c there's no backpressure to keep the puck under control.
Is there a turbo/dp gasket that they make that will work? Or will the atr gasket work?
Thanks
Jordan
 

smeagol

Active member
Is he set on straight mechanical control? Or is the solenoid still plugged in?

Reason I'm asking is because I did some *guessing* for the boost control in those chips, and have been stressing that to anyone using them so far. I haven't had the chance to dial in boost control on any truck, as 15psi is the base boost.

Shouldn't need any gasket on that setup at all. He does have the PTE exhaust housing, correct?
 

tealty

New member
Hey Brian,

Yeah maybe that's it. He is running the solenoid or boost control off of the chip. He does have the pte housing too. So you think maybe he should buy an electronic boost controller? Like the Innovative?
later
Jordan
 

smeagol

Active member
The chip *can* control it. I'm just not that far along in the calibration for it unfortunately. My test mule has a mechanical problem I'm trying to track down right now.

Right now, get the boost set at 15psi base, with the solenoid unplugged. To do this, you'll have to set the wastegate rod about nearly like stock. You recall how the rod has an overlap? Put it about the stock overlap, put some compressed air to the actuator, and pop it on.

If you can get 15psi *solid*, no problems, then the control should be pretty good. I'd wager that a bleeder valve would work pretty well for control up to 20psi at that point.

The Innovative would probably work awesome, but I don't see a need for that controller with the PTE so far, from a budget standpoint.
 

leroy

Donating Member
If you're having trouble with boost control and the PTE setup, check for clearance between the actuator arm and fender well. I found out this was a problem on Zach's truck.

I'll be trying out the stock solenoid with the PTE setup in the next week or so. Do you have any pointers, Brian?

Jim
 

smeagol

Active member
Well since the base boost on a PTE setup is 15psi, you need to lower the duty cycle a whole bunch to start with. So 0% DC will give you 15psi.

What I've tried (and I'll follow thru with this soon) is to go open loop with the boost control (set closed loop threshold to 6375rpm) and use the WG DC table only (versus MPH is the best idea). See if you can scale that table such that you have solid control through the gears. Once you have that set, you can go closed loop with it. The less the closed loop boost control you rely upon, the better your control will be.
 
Top