HELP! New Engine Startup Question

4C FED

Absolutum Dominium
I pulled the dist. and timed it again, checked my plug wires (2 were not fully seated, Doh!).

I got it started. :D

But after priming (priming tool) it for a couple of minutes then starting it, I have very little oil coming from the pushrods after about 30 sec's. of the motor running on its own.
So I turned it off.
When I used the priming tool I had oil coming out the turbo supply line and I started to see a little come out from the pushrods, so I figured I was done priming.

SHOULD I BE WORRIED? or is this normal.
 

RAACCR

Member
I slowly turn the crank with a long ratchet or breaker bar while priming fresh motors...that seems to get the oil up through all the lifters & pushrods the fastest.

I also pour a quart of straight 70 weight oil across the upper valvetrain prior to initial start up...I figure that's got to help keep things from running dry until the main oil supply starts pumping at full steam.

Rob
 

smeagol

Active member
I usually put some oil thru the turbo center section before priming even, pouring a bit through directly, spinning the turbo a bit while I do it. The turbo can spin up fast, even if you don't fire the motor when spinning it.
 

4C FED

Absolutum Dominium
Thanks,
I dumped some 60 wt across the rockers.
I see some spurts from the pushrods now.
No grinding or knocking. Looks like I have around 80 psi oil pressure. Temp went up to 156 and the fans came on, back to 151 and they went off.
No leaks anywhere that I can see yet.

So far so good, now I need to put all of the stuff back on.
 
Top