heads

kwick6

Donating Member
What would be a good set to use?
That doesn't require the adapter.
That would work well with stock cam, te44, 9/11 , stock injectors.

I think the stock heads flow ~165cfm.
What do the L35's flow, and what year would be the best. What is the deal with screw in or press in studs, and which do we want?

Finally, would these require altering the chip?

TIA,
Scott
 

Buster

New member
Last week you wanted to max out your existing parts and now your going to throw a set of heads into the already mixed up equation? Damn you. OK enough ranting, if you want to do heads pop those stock injectors out and start all over, someone said the l35's can flow 200 cfm with a little bit of work, I'm no expert but I think that'll put you in the danger zone, injector wise.

BTW: If your running the atr turbo setup and still unsatisfied with your performance might what to check for leaks around the adapters, I don't know one local that doesn't leak, and they all run super frickin slow.

Mark L
 

kwick6

Donating Member
LOL. You act like I'm out there in the garage right now boltin stuff on. I understand what your saying, and I don't intend to throw heads in the mix just yet.

I have high mileage on my truck. I am not positive, but there is a chance that carbon has built up on the valves causing hot spots.
I've done plenty TEC, but I am not fully convinced that it can help enough. I am just saying that I think the newer L35's have a much better design.

I am not ready to step up the injectors, so I will be putting this off. I just wanted to get some ideas together. I will max out what I have.


When I first bought this turbo it came with a high boost spring actuator. I finally found a GN actuator, and will be switching over to that, I'll see how that works.

I'm not sure if the 3-4 adapter is leaking on the downpipe, how can you tell?

I still have the stock downpipe Brian.
What kind of difference would it make to get a different downpipe, exhaust housing?
Could PTE could match one of their exhaust housings to this turbo? If they could then I would be set if I got their exh. housing and downpipe.

Thanks,
Scott
 

smeagol

Active member
Who made your turbo? It's a 44 that bolts up to stock downpipe? Is it a Chan piece?

FWIW, the L35 heads are just mildly better than stock, not hugely better. I just plain wouldn't use them at all, considering I could spend the same amount of money (assuming ported L35s) and get untouched Vortecs to fit that will flow as good or better.

The Vortec heads are completely different heads, and well worth the effort to install them IMO.
 

kwick6

Donating Member
I bought the turbo from Steve Gavic.
He said he got it from Jerry McCoy.
I don't know anything more about where it came from.
It has a four bolt turbine housing that bolts right up to the syty manifold.
Then it has an adapter to fit the stock downpipe.

Scott
 
Top