Front hubs

aasltmike

Active member
I saw the thread on axle shaft seals, but the question I have is there just one seal that seals between the axle shaft end and the hub? I assume that I have to unbolt the hub from the spindle to replace this seal? Am I right, and how much grease should I pack in the hub after I replace the seal? Thanks!
 

aasltmike

Active member
Re: Front hubs

The front hub and bearings are sealed units, no grease packing needed.

So, the axle shaft end seal is the only seal that needs replacing? I have to replace the axle shaft and I can't find an exploded diagram showing the parts that make up the hub and spindle assembly.
 

warmpancakes

New member
Re: Front hubs

I put a tiny mount of anti sieze in there for when the hubs need to come off again, but the seal is a simple install if you arent replacing the hubs might want to if you have over 70k miles
 

wildphil

I Love My Ty's
Re: Front hubs

Are you just needing to replace the half shaft or the rest of the shaft that goes into the differential?
 

aasltmike

Active member
Re: Front hubs

Are you just needing to replace the half shaft or the rest of the shaft that goes into the differential?

Just the halfshaft...tow truck driver tore the outer boot with his hook then tried to claim he didn't do it, but his hook was covered in grease! Yeah, right....:rant: Ended up not getting charged for the tow after I called BS on him.
 

gstacky

Member
Re: Front hubs

so you just need to replace the axle shaft boot, kits are cheap, easy to do, and just make sure you clean it out good and replace with new grease when putting it back together, but you will have to drop a ball joint to get the axle shaft out in order to change the boot.
 

aasltmike

Active member
Re: Front hubs

so you just need to replace the axle shaft boot, kits are cheap, easy to do, and just make sure you clean it out good and replace with new grease when putting it back together, but you will have to drop a ball joint to get the axle shaft out in order to change the boot.

Too much of a PITA for me...70 bucks to replace the halfshaft sounded better to me than dealing with re-booting it, but that's just my logic at work...strange, I know.
 
Top