Excessive RPMs

JersSY

SyTy Addiction
I finally got the Sy out after she has been sitting for a little less than 2 years in the garage with the cover on it. About every two months or so, I would start it up and let it run for 10-15 mins. Well, we moved this past November and I drove it the 20 miles to the new house but went slow because it was running about 4,000 rpm at 60 mph. I dropped it down to about 50 mph but I was still well over 3,500. I just finally had a chance to get it out this past weekend and took it for a drive. I thought I lost OD but I can see (tach) and feel it shifting into all four gears. I did a search for this but I haven’t found anything. I suspect that it is either seals that dried out from storage or something is out of adjustment. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy
 

MikeRenz

not stock
Re: Excessive RPMs

you definitely aren't in 4th gear. the "shifts" you're feeling is probably just the torque converter locking
 

JersSY

SyTy Addiction
Re: Excessive RPMs

The fluid level is good and is nice and red. The truck pulls very hard right up until I let off because of the high rpm of course. I can launch with about 8-10psi of boost and all four tires are breaking loose and it sets me back, with no noticeable slip that I can see or feel.
 

JersSY

SyTy Addiction
Re: Excessive RPMs

I saw the thread for this but the pic that was shown has 2 cables and mine has 3. What are they for all for?
 

JersSY

SyTy Addiction
Re: Excessive RPMs

Ok, I tried adjusting the tv cable about 9 times and no difference at all. I even put it out beyond adjustment just to see if it changed anything but still nothing. I verified 1st gear, 2nd gear and a shift to third. What I thought was fourth, I now have serious doubts about. I even downshifted, once moving to D, 2 and 1. I felt a definite downshift from 3rd to 2nd, then 2nd to 1st. I verified the RPMs at 60mph to be at 4200. Unfortunately, I do not have a data master to verify this. I seriously need to invest in one anyway.
 

REVEREND HARMON

Party in a box!
Re: Excessive RPMs

OK. I did some math. 60 MPH with a 26.5" diameter tire is 4,340 RPM in 3rd. With the TCC applied, which it will be in 3rd, a few hundred RPM less. And you counted the shifts. So you have no 4th.

Looking at the trouble shooting charts for no 4th, the first item is governor sticking, binding, etc. This makes sense as if it never got driven while in storage, the governor never got "exercised" as it only moves if the wheels move.

You could try the bottle of red lube guard.

Welcome back dave :tup: I have missed your tech posts :D
 

JersSY

SyTy Addiction
Re: Excessive RPMs

Dave,

Thanks for the info. I assume that governor that you are referring to is located somewhere on the tranny? I will buy the bottle of red lube guard tomorrow after work. Just let me know which areas I should soak down. :)
 

Beavis

Still plays with trucks
Re: Excessive RPMs

Put it down the dipstick tube. One bottle won't be enough to over fill it, just put it in and drive around like normal, dont be too hard on it.
 

JersSY

SyTy Addiction
Re: Excessive RPMs

Ok, I bought the bottle of lube guard (red) and put the full bottle in the trans. I let the truck warm up and then took it for about a 12-15 mile drive. I tried to do a lot of starting/stopping and make the truck go through as many shifts as possible. I pushed the truck up close to redline about five times, just to try to get the fluid around. I thought that I would leave it to "soak up" what little fluid got back there. I will try it again this weekend and if it doesn't work, I will remove the governor and clean it.
 

JersSY

SyTy Addiction
Re: Excessive RPMs

Ok, took it for a quick drive and no change. I pulled the cover on the gov on the tranny and it was full of trans fluid. The gov seemed ok but I cleaned it out anyway, just to be sure. I reinstalled it and drove it but no change at all. Any other ideas?
 

JersSY

SyTy Addiction
Re: Excessive RPMs

Thanks Dave. Although I did not disasemble the govenor, the entire assembly was clean and shinny. What other areas should I focus on or should I take the govenor back out and fully tear it apart, just to be safe?
 
Top