Engine bay wire tuck??

jbone

Member
Has abyone here done it to a sy/ty?? Ive looked at a couple of local hondas that have done it and t really cleaned up the engine bay. For those of you who dont know a wire tuck is hiding all of the wires in the engine bay to make it look neater. Thanks!!
 

MRKING

New Parts for Old Trucks
Re: Engine bay wire tuck??

1 thing to help is running all those wires at the brake booster , underneith it .
 

jbone

Member
Re: Engine bay wire tuck??

Yeah I was hoping to see some pics if anyone has done it and Im sure it would take a lot of time to do but if it looks good enough I may attempt it. Thanks
 

RSpengler

Ghetto Fab Specialist.
Re: Engine bay wire tuck??

I dont understand how you are going to hide ALL the wires.... Or do you mean just the wires on the firewall?
-Rob
 

jbone

Member
Re: Engine bay wire tuck??

No I mean all the wires, I didnt say it was def. possible but it may be and I think it looks a lot cleaner if you can do it.
 

Flyin Ryan

hated cuz he drives fords
Re: Engine bay wire tuck??

we did this in my brother's mustang... took a long time and was a big pita but when we finished it looked totally different and a bunch cleaner. I'd love to do it to the sy but would think it would be a nightmare
 

VermontTy

Support Our Troops
No 56k Here!!!!!!

No 56k Here!!!!!!

Knock yourself out.....

Step 1: remove stock engine harness, and cut the wiring to all the sensors, plugs, etc.
Step 2: Get a couple engine harnesses from a 90's chevy truck and cut them all apart.
Step 3: Lengthen your sensor wires 6 feet using matching color wire from the donor harnesses.
Step 4: Solder all connections and heat shrink every pair of sensor wires.

Then get creative and find where you want to hide everything. Please note, that there are just some wires that cannot be well hidden like the 02 sensor, IAT sensor, boost solenoid and coolant temp sensor. The hang out for the world to see regardless, so think about that before you dive in....

Once you have the locations picked out, simply reconnect all of the wiring you previously butchered according.*

*Before you go to bed every night, study every damn wiring diagam out there for the truck, because you'll get real tight with them by the end of the project.

When I did it, I chose to run from the sensor to a weatherpack connector inside the truck, then from the weatherpack to the ECM, so I could remove / modify sections of wiring if I needed to.

The hole in the firewall I chose to use was a grommet where the wiring and vacuum line to feed your HVAC controls go. The grommet and hole were so big in comparison to the wires going through it, that it had more than enough room for all the wires of the engine bay. I also ran the wiring for the undertruck stuff (speedo, TCC) inside the truck along the floor, then drilled a hole, put a grommet in, and dropped the lines straight down to the speedometer sending unit and TCC. That eliminated 4 wires from the bunch. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of my engine bay on hand; I'll get one.

It was definitely a pain, and many times during it I wanted to go buy another harness from Ray, but it was pretty cool learning how it all ties together. Personally, I wouldn't tackle it unless you want a super duper clean show truck, or you were forced to after you grabbed the battery from your buddys boat to quickly move the truck before winter and the polarity on his battery was different than yours and you caught your truck on fire. :roll: If you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to help however I can.


All of the wires separated, lenghtened, no heatshrink.
IMG_2862.jpg




Heatshrink installed, the hole in the firewall, and a Red Sox hat
Ok.gif
IMG_2894.sized.jpg


Everything nicely tucked in
IMG_2898.sized.jpg


Where everything came through the firewall; things get ugly from here.
IMG_2901.sized.jpg


With the defrost ductwork back in place
IMG_2904.sized.jpg


Relay location
IMG_2923.sized.jpg


CRIPES!!!! This was the mayhem in full swing. All junction blocks were marked for reference, and I left several open locations for future use if need be.
junction_block_locations.jpg
 

VermontTy

Support Our Troops
Re: Engine bay wire tuck??

bezerk said:
amazing, but i bet you had seconds thoughts halfway the proces
The second thoughts only lasted long enough to remember a new harness would run $400.
TYTILIDIE said:
Got pics of the finished product?
I don't have a picture of it finished, but I will soon.
 

jbone

Member
Re: Engine bay wire tuck??

looks pretty simple I guess ;)

so when your done let me know so you can get a head start on mine before winter, I wouldnt want to have to deal w/ numb hands too :tup:
 

VermontTy

Support Our Troops
Re: Engine bay wire tuck??

All things considered, it was relatively simple. It took a lot of planning, the soldering and heatshrinking was pretty time-consuming, and it was definitely a project you need to commit to 100% before starting.
 

jbone

Member
Re: Engine bay wire tuck??

thanks for the input, I figured it would be time intensive, I cant wait to see the pics of the finished product, Thanks again!!
 

VermontTy

Support Our Troops
Re: Engine bay wire tuck??

It is...its kinda tough to get to the bolt that holds the distributor down though....
 

Jamerjoe

Member
Re: Engine bay wire tuck??

Looks crazy, but I have a feeling its going to be a real pain in the ass changing out the heater core with the wires and relays attatch to the cover.
 

VermontTy

Support Our Troops
Re: Engine bay wire tuck??

yeah, there's pros and cons to every location. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
 

mmp142965

say it like you spell it!
Re: Engine bay wire tuck??

Damn Adam! You can rewire your entire truck but you cant r&r a ps pump pulley with out fking it all up? LOL

seriously though, looks awesome...and almost impossible
 

VermontTy

Support Our Troops
Re: Engine bay wire tuck??

mmp142965 said:
Damn Adam! You can rewire your entire truck but you cant r&r a ps pump pulley with out fking it all up? LOL

seriously though, looks awesome...and almost impossible
:fist: haha....that thing owned me. sometimes its the little stuff. :rant:
 
Top