3-4 early shift issue

SyTyAddict

Member
Hey guys,

When I have the Sy in OD, it shifts into 4th way too early (around 35mph) and bogs down really bad. Third gear might as well not exist, so I now put it into D and manually shift into OD at about 43mph. Once it goes into 4th, it doesn't want to shift back into 3rd unless the speed drops drastically. When I go about 50% throttle it doesn't want to downshift, I am hesitant to push it to the floor in 4th to see if it will downshift. It is a built trans; it shifts very solid and the fluid appears sparkling clean.

Does it sound like a calibration/tv cable issue or is something wrong with the trans? If anyone has any input on what it might be, I will greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Clay
 

syclone 0260n4

New member
Re: 3-4 early shift issue

It sounds like you need to have your shift governors adjusted. It might have broke the springs on the governor causing it to shift like that. I just had my trans built and its not shifting into 4th until after 50mph so ive gotta take it back to have it corrected to shift into 4th at just over 40mph. Do not go taking the slack out of your tv cable to try an fix it, I tried that approach and toasted my 3rd and 4th. That only assists in changing the gears as a whole not each one. My trans was doing almost exactly what your was before i lost 3-4, turned out somebody did a half ass job and doubled up on springs on one then not enough on the other.

Just keep your line pressure on the tv cable so you dont end up losing 3-4 like i did
 

T-Bone

Active member
Re: 3-4 early shift issue

Is this the 92 proto from tbone like in your pic?

Yep, that is the one he is inquiring about. I am not a tranny expert and since I tooled around town in D, except when on the interstate, I never noticed any issue with it shifting prematurely into OD. I can attest that if you push down on the accelerator, it WILL kick down and scoot. If I understood Clay correctly in a PM he sent me, under rapid acceleration, it shifts as it should. It shifts into OD early when he creeps up in MPH under light throttle.

Gordon had that tranny professionally built with quality components. It has been serviced while in my care with fresh fluid (2008). Since the 700R4 shift points are regulated by line pressure, whatever the cause is beyond my expertise, thus the public request for input.
 

Beavis

Still plays with trucks
Re: 3-4 early shift issue

I thought you put a 4l60e in it. If so then it's just a matter of program adjustments. If not it's govenor adjustments. :2cents:
 

JSM

Active member
Re: 3-4 early shift issue

I say pull the governor and take a look at it. It can be done without a lot of work. Even might be worth throwing another syty one in there as a test.
 

jwaller

Evil Genius/SyTy Guru
Re: 3-4 early shift issue

if it has a built trans you might have an upshift sleeve that is a little over active and needs to be replaced. I suggest leaving it in 3rd and manually bumping it up. Its better for the trans to be driven this way.
 

T-Bone

Active member
Re: 3-4 early shift issue

I thought you put a 4l60e in it. If so then it's just a matter of program adjustments. If not it's govenor adjustments. :2cents:

No sir, the top-of-the-line 4L60E that RPM built is in the black Sy I bought from ViperRacing (pictured in my current avatar). Glad to read most feel the common remedy is adjustments to the govenor, although I don't even know what labor that requires. I would hate to sell anything with potential problems to someone, even though it performed fine while in my possession and during the test drive prior to the sale.


I suggest leaving it in 3rd and manually bumping it up. Its better for the trans to be driven this way.

Jimmy Mann told me this a long time ago as well when I bought a Syclone with 126 original miles and gave him a ride but he discouraged me from manually shifting from OD back to D. Is a manual downshift bad for a transmission, provided it is not reduced to L at 65 MPH (I mean within reason)? If anyone would know for sure, you certainly would.
 

SyTyAddict

Member
Re: 3-4 early shift issue

Ok, I'm glad that everyone says it's probably the governor or what Waller posted. I mainly wanted to make sure it wasn't something that was going to lead to bigger issues. I have the another built syty 700r4 that I could reference.

As for T-Bone, I don't mind having to work on some things here and there, buying a vehicle that is already perfect is kind of boring to me. I'm so glad I could buy it, I'm as happy as a pig in a mudpit.

Thanks for the help everyone!
 

T-Bone

Active member
Re: 3-4 early shift issue

As for T-Bone, I don't mind having to work on some things here and there, buying a vehicle that is already perfect is kind of boring to me. I'm so glad I could buy it, I'm as happy as a pig in a mudpit.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I hear ya Clay but I have also been on the other side of the coin. Matter of fact, I recently spent $3960 on a trans rebuild in a Syclone I got to enjoy for MAYBE 60 miles after I purchased it and those kind of repairs are NOT fun. Tony didn't sell me the truck with issues...it just happened. Part of owning a high HP vehicle but I am 99.999999% sure, the proto Sy is mechanically sound :).
 
Top