High Reving gear shifts

AZTY

New member
My Typhoon is has been having problems shifting for the last two days. It won't shift gears till like 3500 rpms. And when is finially shifts, it practically brakes my neck with the torque. I tried adjusting the TV cable with no different response. I also checked the Trans oil and it seem to be the right color and ammount. I tried to do a search but I can't seem to find one with the exact same problems. Since it was all the sudden, I am wondering if it is something electrical. Any info would definately help cause I am in the dark on this one.
 

AlaskaTy

New member
Re: High Reving gear shifts

AZTY said:
My Typhoon is has been having problems shifting for the last two days. It won't shift gears till like 3500 rpms. And when is finially shifts, it practically brakes my neck with the torque. I tried adjusting the TV cable with no different response. I also checked the Trans oil and it seem to be the right color and ammount. I tried to do a search but I can't seem to find one with the exact same problems. Since it was all the sudden, I am wondering if it is something electrical. Any info would definately help cause I am in the dark on this one.
When that was happening to my truck it was because my tranny was going south. I hope yours ends up to be something cheap and easy
 

AZTY

New member
I just figured it would go south slowly, not all the sudden. I mean one day it was fine, next day it had this high rev problem. Could it be the cylonoid or something electrical?
 

AZTY

New member
Hey Mike, I might be wrong here, but if you are talking about loosing 2nd and 4th gears, I feel like I still have those. It seems to shift through all the gears, just alot higher revs, and alot more torque while switching.
 

MikeRenz

not stock
well that sounds a lot like how mine acted, and i had no 2/4 gears. don't forget your tc is prolly locking, making it feel like another gear
 

AZTY

New member
So it keeps getting stranger and stranger. Me and a friend from the local GN club were messing arround with my truck trying to see what was causing the problems. After we gave up, we hung out for about an hour and then I went home. On the way home, my shifting went back to normal, no more problems. So what would cause that? Is something sticking and unsticking? I am going to get my tranny fluid and filter changed today, hopefully this will solve my problems because I am supposed to take it to the track again tomorrow.
 

InvisiBill

Active member
kwick6 had some gunk in his new trans. He had to yank on the TV cable a bit to let it flush out. Perhaps you had something similar, with some crud clogging something up which eventually worked its way out?

Glad to hear it's back to normal, but if it was crud in the trans, that itself is bad too.
 

gmcturbo

Active member
MikeRenz said:
you prolly lost your 2-4 band. Mine did the same thing. Took some effort for it to shift from 1st to 3rd.

me too, also took me a while to notice it was goin from 1st to 3rd.. i thought it was just delayed at first like you
 

jwaller

Evil Genius/SyTy Guru
your governor got trash in it. if you continue to drive it once it's stuck and it keeps shifting like mad, you will bust the cheap stock alum pistons in the input drum, then you will stuck with a totally junked trash..
 

Per Olav

New member
AZTY said:
Hey Mike, I might be wrong here, but if you are talking about loosing 2nd and 4th gears, I feel like I still have those. It seems to shift through all the gears, just alot higher revs, and alot more torque while switching.

That's exactly the same problem I had a few weeks ago. It went away when i disconnected the TV cable and yanked it back an forth sometimes, and gave it som lubrication.
Now it shift at normal rpms, but i have the "slipping" problem. Going for an overhaul next week when I get my $$. It will cost me about 2200 dollars (15000 Norwegian Kroners)
Just out of curiosity, how much will a rebuild cost in US ?
 

Jimmy

Banned
Per Olav said:
Going for an overhaul next week when I get my $$. It will cost me about 2200 dollars (15000 Norwegian Kroners)
Just out of curiosity, how much will a rebuild cost in US ?
That sounds fair,if you are getting the 4L65 planitaries in it.
 
Top