Extrude hone intake & exhaust manifolds?

Dan B

Has anyone here done it? I'm thinking of having it done as to me it's just another way to improve on factory engineering without donking the truck out.. How difficult is it to remove the intake & exhaust manifolds, what can I screw up?

Thunder_Lloyd

removing the intake and exhaust should be pretty straight forward. I am unfamiliar with what extrude honing is tho...

I considered it while building a fresh engine. The intake and exhaust already flow better than the stock heads, so there isn't much benefit. If you can get it done for free, you might see some improvement in spool response from having the exhaust manifolds done, otherwise there are better parts of the truck to spend money on...

Dan B

I considered it while building a fresh engine. The intake and exhaust already flow better than the stock heads, so there isn't much benefit. If you can get it done for free, you might see some improvement in spool response from having the exhaust manifolds done, otherwise there are better parts of the truck to spend money on...
What got me thinking of it was I was considering removing them for cerakoting anyways, def pricey though.. I had a stock motor rebuild on my old 87 turbo t, previous owner had the intake extruder honed, my engine builder who had done a ton of turbo buicks kept telling me how nice the manifold was inside

Dan B

removing the intake and exhaust should be pretty straight forward. I am unfamiliar with what extrude honing is tho...

When I look under the hood it's a bit daunting, not sure where to begin lol.. Extrude hone though is a process where they hydraulically inject an abrasive putty through all the passages resulting in a really smooth surface in theory making better air flow

djsy934

From my understanding, a slightly rougher surface is better for a lower intake as it helps atomize the fuel. (see pics of my lower porting) This is the same when I ported my heads, I left the intake ports a little rougher but polished the exhaust ports smooth.
As for the stock exhaust manifolds all I did was port match, I'm told the stock manifolds are good for up 700hp. Not sure how much extrude honing will add.

Attachments

• Intake 003.jpg
    Intake 003.jpg
    707.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Intake2.jpg
    Intake2.jpg
    697.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Intake6.JPG
    Intake6.JPG
    649.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Intake 002.jpg
    Intake 002.jpg
    686.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Intake 005.jpg
    Intake 005.jpg
    662.1 KB · Views: 12

Dan B

Here is another theory.. They have there's you have yours I'm not in a position to say which is right/wrong, just posting for discussion.. Nice job with your parts I hope to get as involved with mine someday.
From my understanding, a slightly rougher surface is better for a lower intake as it helps atomize the fuel. (see pics of my lower porting) This is the same when I ported my heads, I left the intake ports a little rougher but polished the exhaust ports smooth.
As for the stock exhaust manifolds all I did was port match, I'm told the stock manifolds are good for up 700hp. Not sure how much extrude honing will add.
Screenshot_20211130-171304.png

Poconojoe

Donating Member
On port injected motors, like the Sy/Ty, there is no fuel in the intake ports, that would need help antomizing. If you're worried about the fuel atomizing, get better injectors

Dan B

Not sure if this adds any insights... https://howtune.com/articles/43-port-matching-the-turbo-on-a-gmc-typhoon

Intake isn't bad coming off, make sure to label all the connections. Exhaust is just tight...always easier on a lift if at all possible. Lot of back and forth when it's on jacks that makes it hard.
Good advice thanks.. I may just swallow my pride n have my mechanic friend do the r&r in his shop, I'll slap in a few led fixtures n call it a wash.. far as the turbo porting yes sir all part of the plan, I just worry I'm gonna live to regret Dave P's sage advice of leave it the fuck alone lol

Dan B

On port injected motors, like the Sy/Ty, there is no fuel in the intake ports, that would need help antomizing. If you're worried about the fuel atomizing, get better injectors
On that note.. I realize the factory (30 lb?) Injectors are perfectly matched for a stock setup, but do the new 42's that are available perform (atomize) any better? Disk vs pintle etc

Poconojoe

Donating Member
On that note.. I realize the factory (30 lb?) Injectors are perfectly matched for a stock setup, but do the new 42's that are available perform (atomize) any better? Disk vs pintle etc
Pintle injectors have better spray pattern then disc injectors, but are more prone to lock up, when running them on higher fuel pressure

corsair231

Consider 60 lb injectors. From what I understand is they have better idle and drivability than the 42's and the 255 should be enough pump for a street setup, plus they will give you room to grow in the future. Of course, what do I know since I'm running 50 lb'ers, lol.

Dan B

Honestly I don't think I would want to make more power than what 42's can support on gasoline, doesn't make sense to me to run 60's... Probly explains my disdain for the phrase go big or go home

corsair231

It's my understanding from talking with Eric at Turbotweak that it is more than just greater fuel flow capabilities from the 60's over the 42's. It may be all from the chip writer/tuner's end, but I trust his advice. There have been a bunch of people who were happy with the 42's though so either one will be an okay choice. The only reason I didn't go with the 60's this time was the great deal I got on a set of low mileage 50's and a chip from a couple of guys from the sites. Got to save a dollar when ever I can, lol.