Distrubitor differens?

just a 6

R.I.P MyClone
Hi group,

Is a regular early 90's 4.3 liter the same as a Sy/Ty 4.3 liter when it comes to odd fire/even fire engines?
The reson i'm asking is b/c a friend of me bought a new dist. from O-Riley and i installed it in his Sy, but i got some wiered miss fire on idle and around 1500-2500 rpm? Only when you are costing with no load on engine, like driving down the street keeping the rpm steady.

All the connectors where the same on the new dist. but it did not have that miss fire before i change the dist. It got brand new AC plugs and Tayler wires.

If there is some differens between a Sy dist and a regular 4.3 dist. maybe he got the wrong one, like if they sold him a dist. for a regular 4.3 engine.

Thanks for your time,
 

smeagol

Active member
Dist is the same; if the connectors & the distributor looked the same, you have the right one.

Later model 4.3's used a different distributor setup, but it looks much different, so you'd know if you have one of those.
 

just a 6

R.I.P MyClone
Thanks Brian,
8)



smeagol said:
Dist is the same; if the connectors & the distributor looked the same, you have the right one.

Later model 4.3's used a different distributor setup, but it looks much different, so you'd know if you have one of those.
 

Bill Z

Donating Member
I hope you got your distributor problem fixed.

I had a similar problem. It turned out being a bad distributor cap (and the cap was new). Under a load it would ark and miss fire. I changed from the store brand to a name brand cap and things started to calm down.

Try changing the rotor and cap. The store should allow you to make the exchange.
 
Top